Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my gb springs,and i am getting some cross drilled rotors (not sure what kind yet) brakes and i guess i'll paint or replace my calipers,and my cv axles but what else should i change while i have the front end apart ,thanks ....i am an average driver but i do drive fast but not stupid and i dont race so if that helps i'll take suggestions thanks again .you guys have been very very helpful with the passat owning experience i really appreciate it you guys rock :lol: :lol: :lol: i should add i have 109098 on my car

·
0 Posts
My suggestions

1. shock
2. control arms
3. bearings
4. pads
5. sway bar

-steve

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
With over 100K miles, new shocks are definately in order - what Inferno said^.

Also when upgrading to new rotors, get new hi-performance pads to go with them. Axxis, Mintex, Hawk come to mind but there are others that are recommended as well.

And why not drilled and slotted brakes? I prefer D/S over just drilled or just slotted brake because you get enhanced initial bite, shorter stopping distance, reduced brake fade and enhanced rotor life. Of course, you get those things with just drilled or slotted alone but I find the best combination of those attributes come with the D/Sed rotors.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S_Klass said:
With over 100K miles, new shocks are definately in order - what Inferno said^.

Also when upgrading to new rotors, get new hi-performance pads to go with them. Axxis, Mintex, Hawk come to mind but there are others that are recommended as well.

And why not drilled and slotted brakes? I prefer D/S over just drilled or just slotted brake because you get enhanced initial bite, shorter stopping distance, reduced brake fade and enhanced rotor life. Of course, you get those things with just drilled or slotted alone but I find the best combination of those attributes come with the D/Sed rotors.
no reason but i was told slotted would tear up my pads and i would be replaceing them every 10000 miles so i was going with just c/d but if thats not true then maybe i will change my mind

·
Registered
902 Posts
Question:

S_Klass said:
Answer:
guy022077 said:
....i am an average driver but i do drive fast but not stupid and i dont race so
From posts on cross drilled and slotted rotors I've read, most have reported that cross-drilled(I've never really understood this, does the heat realeased make up for the surface area lost?) would mainly be benficial on the track, not in real world use. I read some threads that said slotted could benefit you in wet weather condidtions.

From what I read, and how you described yourself as a driver, most of the CB5 gurus would say that plain ol rotors are fine.

Now increasing the diameter of the rotor, that's a different story.

·
0 Posts
To even ask why better brakes are needed is crazy, in the real world or any world the better the brakes the better!

cross drilling and venting let hot gasses escape, keeping your brakes cooler and allowing them to stop better, it also helps remove moisture.

bigger is better, just ask the ladies! :lol:

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey hey

JokerUNM said:
Question:

S_Klass said:
Answer:
guy022077 said:
....i am an average driver but i do drive fast but not stupid and i dont race so
From posts on cross drilled and slotted rotors I've read, most have reported that cross-drilled(I've never really understood this, does the heat realeased make up for the surface area lost?) would mainly be benficial on the track, not in real world use. I read some threads that said slotted could benefit you in wet weather condidtions.

From what I read, and how you described yourself as a driver, most of the CB5 gurus would say that plain ol rotors are fine.

Now increasing the diameter of the rotor, that's a different story.

increasing the diameter ? how much stuff is needed for that?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Guy, I disagree about the slotted rotor advice you got!! When those cross drilled rotors crack, you will really see uneven pad wear and loads of vibration/squealing! S_Klass hit it right on the head.. There's so many options available to upgrade your brakes.. Some B5ers upgrade to larger A8 rotors by replacing the stock carriers while keeping the stock calipers.

Now with over 100K miles, I would recommend changing the shocks/springs and upgrading the control-arms. (Upper & Lower) You can get all these suspension and brake upgrade suggestions from ECSTuning. Visit www.ecstuning.com

Now as far as the control arms go, I'm planning on upgrading to Custom Performance Products Upper/Lower Control Arms on my W8. http://www.customperf.com/passat.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Nenad
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing