Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 b5 1.8t with 70k. I have had the car for about 8k. I have noticed recently that there is a rattle coming from the front when I go over rough roads or bumps. It sounds like it comes from the bottom of the front end. I think it could be subframe bolts. It is not really a clunk, but more of a low pitched rattle. If anyone could make any suggestions to help me pinpoint the problem, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove around alot today, and the rattle is getting more and more annoying. It sounds like something is loose on rough roads. It is more of a low pitched rattle so I dont think it is heat shields or anything small. Does anyone know where the subframe bolts are? Are they only at those silver braces? I am planning on putting the car on jack stands tomorrow and seeing if any control arm bushings are sloppy, so I can take a look at the subframe bolts as well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a sound recording of the sound. Is there a way I can host it? the recording is poor quality but you can here the distinct "thunk thunk" If anyone is familar with this and has time to listen to this it would be appreciate it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 01 glx 4mo. and I have the same happening on the passenger side front end. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the shock/spring because it isn't heard in turns of anykind. I haven't had the time to check it out. I have just over 63k miles. :???:

·
Registered
43 Posts
It might be a dreaded control arm failure. In my '98 B5, I had to replace ALL the control arms--upper and lower, left and right sides--PLUS tie rod ends on both sides. And all this in only 50k miles. :mad:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
as if we don'T all know that theses cars eat up control arms.
check them thouroughly as it will caus tire wear if they get really worn :eek:h:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had similar noises with my 99 1.8t, driving me freek'n nuts :mad: ...I just had the outer tie rod ends replaced and it hasn't seemed to help. My noise is a bit different though...it sounds like a rubber on metal squeak/creak and is coming from the driver's side front suspension. Right after I purchased the updgraded tie rods from ECS, I noticed that VW had recalled these (where have I been?)

Has anyone had similar squeaks? Could this be the control arms? If so, I wonder if they've finally had a Control Arm recall...

·
Registered
54 Posts
*update* on the 'squeaks' and 'skwaks' from the front end...

so it got worse. bot sides started emitting rattles and other sounds.
we finally took it into the shop. *crossed our fingers it would be covered
under the extended warranty we purchased* and it was...

long story short. they replaced basically the entire front end.
upper and lower control arms. tie rod ends. axles. list went on.

all i really cared about was that it was covered and we didn't have to pay a cent.

but now, my battery is dead. :sad: (BTW, 99GLX w/ almost 59K)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Inferno said:
I made a sound recording of the sound. Is there a way I can host it? the recording is poor quality but you can here the distinct "thunk thunk" If anyone is familar with this and has time to listen to this it would be appreciate it.
Do you have a webhosting page? something that you can post pictures onto? I would imaging you could post the sound file onto that, and just give us the weblink.

I'd be interested to hear this...

Jimmy :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts