Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have 98 B5. About a year ago the noise from front suspention started to bother me.
This is not only clunk noise when you break, but also pretty loud noise when you go over big bumps (feels like you need some force to be applied to get this sound of something being very loose on both sides). Although if you are going over the bumps while holding the brake, the noise isn't as big and sometimes disapears....I gues this depends on your speed.

I have always been a patient reader here, so this is what I did:

1) The front wheels were checked and top control arms replaced. Some noise gone.
2) Tie rods replaced on recall.
3) Engine mounts were replaced (right and left).
4) I replaced all the subframe bolts #27, 28, and 31. most of noise was gone, but some came back again in 2 days.
5) I replaced the sway bar links from ECS. Didn't help very much. Right after this the axle noise came on low speed especially. :mad:

I would like to hear your coments before I replace all the parts on my car. :)

I also noticed that the front engine mount bushing is cracked. Could this be the problem for the noise?
I'm also preparing myself for the transmission (manual 5spd) mount replacement. What are the symptoms of tranny mounts to fail? Any pics of bad ones?
The axle noise makes me think that the sway bar links either weren't designed correctly, or something needs to be raised/lowered/adjusted (maybe tranny mounts?) for the axle to be in the correct position to the engine. It seemed that the links were shorter than the original ones, so I had to loosen all the bolts on the sway bar in order to connect it to the control arm, then tighten everything up. Makes me think that the front assembly moved a little closer to the sway bar. The noise sounds like the ballbarings were shot (louder when you turn). But this doesn't happen out of the sudden on both sides, especially with no CV boots ripped... :???:

Your suggestions please. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is front sway bar bushings. They're rubber wraps that cushion the sway bar at its frontmost mounting points. But that's unlikely.

soooo.... BUMP for more ideas!

Welcome aboard, and it looks like you're well studied! :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you sure it's your suspension? I had a the same thing happen. I had a knocking noise when I would take off or slow down or go over bumps. I just found out that my front right bumper bracket was lose and moving up and down about 1/4 of an inch. Fixed my problem.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had a couple noises kinda similar to what you are describing coming from the front of mine. One while turning/accelerating and one while accelerating or braking hard.

Just a couple weeks ago, I took it in to a local indie shop and had them take a look and listen. They diagnosed it as the engine and tranny mounts. They replaced them all and the turning/accelerating sounds are gone. Huge difference. I still get a pretty loud single clunk/thump from the front on occasions (when accelerating or braking hard). It's time for a smog check in a couple weeks, so I plan to have them take a listen to that noise then (also doing new plugs and DV in hopes of getting better acceleration).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front bumper brakets is something I never concidered looking at. But I still don't think that this is the issue, coz when the noise is there you can feel it on the pedals. So I think that this is something that would be a part of the suspention or joint to it....maybe engine, maybe tranny.

has anyone replaced front engine mount bushing? How complicated is the procedure?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Check the bump stops on the shocks
Do not avoid to check bushings on sway bar,especialy if they are not OE.
engine mount will cause engine ratling and shivering of the car

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
NecserB5 said:
I did check the sway bar bushings. they seem nice and tight.
They will squeek if they are overtight. It is easy to do that if you tight them up with wheels freely hanging.
spray a bit bump stops, with some silicon spray

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't remember the sway bar bushings squeek when I was putting them together. Should I assume that they are OK?

How tight should you have your nut and bolt have on ECS kit? I remember that the old sway bar had more movement up and down when I was taking it of the bushings and just had them on the sway bar links.
Now the new type of links and tightened so they aren't as free as they used to be.
This is how I proceded:

1) Car - free hanging
2) Removed the old sway bar and the links
3) Connected the new links to the sway bar
4) Connected the links to the control arms
5) Installed the bushings to the body
6) Tighten up all the bolts and nuts on the links and the bushings.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have also problem with sway bushings. My sway is from Autotech and their bushings looks pretty poor (and cost nothing compared to Superflex,Powerflex or simmilar) after installing it I have got squeeks after 10 days (greased with silicon grease).
Problem with free hanging wheels and tightening sway is that you can not (never) tight up it correctly. When you release car on the ground, sway is overloaded. It must be tighten when wheels are on the ground (or whatever) and bear full weight of the car.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Did you checked control arms at all(4 per each side)? Catch them with hand antd try to hake, they should not have any space to play.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.