Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 variant has just started to develop a new noise !
When at low speed and over uneven ground there is a distinct "knocking" noise from the front pass. side.
You also get it in city stop/start traffic.This time it can be a cross between a creak and a knock

Any ideas? I guess it is something on the front sus. but before I want to take it apsrt I want to have some idea as to what.

BTW the milage is 90K will all original sus. componants

Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.8tbeout said:
swaybar links, lower control arms, upper control arms. could be any or all of them. pretty common in our cars. big $$ stuff.
Thanks ! I was hoping it going to be an easy/cheap fix, but it doesn't look like it !

Are there any visual indications ? i.e. if I look and tug at the control arms, will they have excessive movement or make a noise, or is it a matter of changing them one at a time untill the noise goes ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2000 GLS is doing the same thing! The funny thing is sometimes it is worse than others (the noise). I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it (!?). I thought they know the car best. Nevertheless, I have been driving with this issue for 6 months now and no new problems. Let me know if you have any better luck and then I can go to my dealer with some possible answers. Good luck!

Demetrios

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to do a visual tomorrow.The knocking in stop/start traffic is driving me nuts.
I don't mind spending the money as long as it sorts the problem ! I'm pretty certain its control arms, but just which of the 4 on my passenger side.
It had an MOT ( UK safety test ) about 2 months ago ( passed) the inspector did comment on what an un-necessarily complicated front sus. He dod not there was a lot of movement in the arems ( bushes not ball joints-I hope).But clearly good enough to pass the test !

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ve got a knock as well. It only happens when one wheel moves relative to the other. For example, I don’t get a knock over speed bumps, but when one wheel goes over a bump, I do. The only thing I can think of that would produce this selective low speed knock is the sway bar links. I've got the old style that articulates on the X and Y plane and they both rotate easily about the horizontal – almost no resistance. Once I get my act together to buy a set from ECS I’ll be able to confirm my theory.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I started having the same problem with my 2000 V6 and long story short, it wound up being the control arms and my right axle went bad... translates into over $1000 :mad:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drive said:
Now that's more like it !! :) :) :)

FWIW I think this is part No 8DO 412 065

I've seen a number of threads on these control are issues now .And quite a few end with commenst to the effect that " it still clunks/clicks after all 8 have been changed" :evil: :mad:

I've done a good visual on my 8 control arms.There is no excessive play in the bushes and the ball-joint gaiters are all good.This item from the Audi forum could well be my answer.Certainly my noises are most noticeable in stop/start traffic and at low speed.
What I really don't want to do is replace control arms and still have that noise.

Any more views ?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
that's the way to check if your mountings are bad. it may not always work but it worked out on my friend's jetta.
put the front (one side where you have the noises form) on jack. when the wheel is couple of inches above the ground try to move it up and down. you will feel some loose. if you open your hood you will see the mounting going up and down as you move the wheel. that means it is the time to replace them.

dont know if always works but my $.02 8)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XedoS69 said:
that's the way to check if your mountings are bad. it may not always work but it worked out on my friend's jetta.
put the front (one side where you have the noises form) on jack. when the wheel is couple of inches above the ground try to move it up and down. you will feel some loose. if you open your hood you will see the mounting going up and down as you move the wheel. that means it is the time to replace them.

dont know if always works but my $.02 8)
Thanks.But the front sus. on a Passat is (unfortunately) different from a Jetta.That movement you can see( from under the hood) on Jetta's sus, but not so on the Passat. I'm going to have to grab the damper and give it a shake to see if there is movement in it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts