Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 03 2.8 auto 4motion wagon from a friend who owed me some money, basically for $400

The front left side was hit at one point, and the fender replaced. The front left wheel is slightly tilted inward at the top, and its really difficult to tell what's bent, be it the control arms, or the knuckle itself.

Plenty of used ones around, but I cannot find solid answers on compatibility.

The part number is 8D0 407 257, and I see new ones listed on ECS that split in the VIN, that end in either C or AM. Most of the used ones don't have either letter from what I've seen, just end in 257.

Anyone have input on this? I

I have a 00 5 speed 2,8 as well, same blue anthracite metallic.Tired of clutch knee all the time, so I'm excited to have another B5 to play around with.

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
The difference is that the later 03 models had a different lower control arm hole, it used a metal insert. If you have the pre-vin split any 2000-2003 (pre-vin) 1.8T/V6 automatic or V6 manual spindle will fit (including the B5 A4 and the metal spindle S4). The manual 1.8T is the exception as they used a smaller axle.

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
I also have 2 Blue Anthracite Pearl wagons. It looks great in the sun, but I prefer brighter colors.

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Yes, since your vin is above 072000, you would need the one with the inserts. They often come out with the lower control arm, so be careful. I would replace the upper control arm if you are not certain the spindle is bent. The control arms are much softer aluminum and bend easily on impacts. I've seen more arms bend than spindles, but a good enough hit will bend the spindle too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'll see if I can get some photos tomorrow, or maybe take some measurements of the other side and compare. The top of the wheel is visibly tilted inward, so it's probably a better (and cheaper) place to start.

Did the 04-05 have the same post vin spindle as I need? Gonna have to hope I can find the right one if it does end up being bent

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,722 Posts
Yes. I have an 04 and the spindles have those control arm inserts for the front lower. You verified the upper control arms are not bent? Measure in a straight line from the bushing end to the ball joint end. They may not be obviously bent just by looking at them.
(12) 8D0 407 253 C wheel bearing housing F 3B-3-072 001>> 82MM left AWM,ATQ,BHW

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
All of what PZ and VAGguy have mentioned is correct.

If for some reason you are having trouble finding the later version steering knuckle (with steel insert for front lower ball joint) the older larger ball joint style knuckles cab be used in place of the original ones. You then need to get different / matching front lower control arm to put everything back together.
Not trying to confuse you here, just letting you know that swapping to a different version is possible if the situation lends itself. The older style (larger ball joint) front control arms are generally cheaper than the newer ones.

When I refreshed my wife's 03 GLX front suspension a few years back, I switched over to the older style (larger ball joint) knuckles. I only did this because I had the parts laying around to make the swap possible. Now the next time I need to replace lower control arms, I'll benefit from the cheaper price of control arms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts