Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I have a 2000 GLS with a blown speaker (mid/sub) in the front passenger door. Broke student that I am, I'm looking just to replace the OE speaker, rather than upgrade just yet, but all of the dealers around here (Buffalo, NY) want a part number before they can even quote me a price...and I don't want to drill the rivets before I at least know how much a replacement is going to cost me.

Anyone happen to have a stock woofer layin around that they could grab the P/N from? (I'm actually not certain whether or not my car has the monsoon system: The twerp from whom I bought it didn't know...the HU is an aftermarket Pioneer, though I have the stock, which is a single DIN with a tape deck and the buttons for a cd-changer, but no changer in the trunk, nor can I find any wiring for one. Is there a way for me to be certain of which type of system I have? I found this thread: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189387 but I don't even know what I'm looking for:confused: )

Would the P/N be different between a monsoon and non-monsoon speaker?

I've searched the forums for the P/N and came up empty...so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am sure there is a difference. You can tell if you have monsoon or not by seeing if there is something in the box (circled in red) which would be the monsoon amp.

If you are non monsoon it still may be cheaper to upgrade to an aftermarket speaker. I am just used to dealers charging waaaay too much for this stuff. sorry i don't have a p/n.

thad.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I may have an extra speaker... I'll check when I go home from my SUNY this weekend.

If I do, you pay shipping and it's yours. Can't guarantee that I even still have them though.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I may have an extra speaker... I'll check when I go home from my SUNY this weekend.

If I do, you pay shipping and it's yours. Can't guarantee that I even still have them though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's very generous of you; thanks! BTW which SUNY school, if you don't mind my asking? I'm at Fredonia...

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I'm at SUNY New Paltz. I'll check in the morning for you. It's been a long day man.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
PRoJeKV6 said:

projekv6, did you find your speaker? if not, I have a couple; same deal, sige- you cover shipping and its yours

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Damn I'm sorry bro, but my car's not running and I've busy trying to find a place to tow it to. If you want to go ahead and help him out I think you'd be a bit more helpful than I can be right now.

Thanks J for helping out, and hopefully everything goes as planned for SigEp.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
PRoJeKV6 said:
Damn I'm sorry bro, but my car's not running and I've busy trying to find a place to tow it to. If you want to go ahead and help him out I think you'd be a bit more helpful than I can be right now.

Thanks J for helping out, and hopefully everything goes as planned for SigEp.
sup wit da ride?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
J - that would be awesome...I'd really appreciate it. Do you know the size of the speakers? (so I can be sure they'll fit...since I'm still not certain as to whether or not my ride has monsoon...though I don't believe that it does...) Also could you let me know how the rest of it will work (when to set up shipping, etc...)?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
SigEp372 said:
J - that would be awesome...I'd really appreciate it. Do you know the size of the speakers? (so I can be sure they'll fit...since I'm still not certain as to whether or not my ride has monsoon...though I don't believe that it does...) Also could you let me know how the rest of it will work (when to set up shipping, etc...)?

Thanks again!
Well, they are out of my 2002 GLS 1.8t and are physically identical to the ones I pulled from my 1999 GLS 1.8t. Neither of them had the Monsoon. They are 5 1/4 inch speakers with about a 1 inch deep ring that pushes them out of the door panel to give more room behind the magnet for the window. They were mounted using rivets; you may have to get clever on re-mounting them.

I have a couple I can send; i can box them and ship them this weekend if you cover shipping; say $10.00 flat? I am PayPal verified.

here is a pic:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
J that sounds great - thanks again for all the help! Never actually used Paypal before...I'd imagine I need your ID or something of the like to make the payment...my email is [email protected] ...drop me a line and we can set up shipping etc?

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts