Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reviewed all the write-ups and YouTube videos I can find.

I still do not understand why the entire front seat must be removed from the car just to get the bottom cushion out.

I have a replacement bottom cushion with cover attached. It looks like the bottom cushion should just pop out somehow. I see no special hard attachment points or anchors.

And similarly after reclining the backrest all the way back, it looks like I should just be able to lift the cushion up and out somehow. I admit I have not been able to do this, but I have not tried to force it out, because all the write-ups say the entire seat has to be taken out of the car without really explaining why.

Shouldn't I just be able to pry the bottom cushion out with some plastic bicycle tire "irons" or similar blunt tool?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just take the freaking seat out. It's only a couple of bolts. Why the resistance, sir?
And, it'll likely make sense once the seat is out.

This is coming from a flat-rate tech. I've seen people do, say, a seat bottom with the seat in the car. Just to be able to say "I didn't take the seat out." And, I see the struggles. By not removing four bolts.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All write-ups seem to assume backrest change-out, but I have no interest in doing that.

I don't want to break trim that typically gets broken - according to the write-ups - when people remove the whole seat to change the backrest when that is not even what I am interested in doing.

I am looking at a bottom cushion that is already out. I see no reason why it can't just be pried or popped out. I think it is a reasonable question.

The write-ups and videos are a little vague about removing the bottom cushion even when the entire seat is out of the car.

I wouldn't pull the engine to change the oil. That would be hard and prone to breaking other things in the process but you could do it that way if you didn't stop to ask, why?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very well. I will take it on faith and remove the whole seat and find out why that is essential once it is out.

With the backrest fully reclined, I can already see and feel all the way around the entire perimeter of the bottom cushion. The only thing in the way is the two front plastic trim pieces, which do not seem to have a whole lot to do with removing the whole seat from the car. I am also picturing having less leverage to work with to wrestle the bottom cushion out when the rest of the seat is no longer firmly anchored to the car. So that is what I was thinking.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
You seem determined. You can go ahead and try it, but IMO, the easiest is to remove the seat for complete access all the way around.

To properly remove the seat trim without breaking it, you need to remove the seat. Really, 5 minutes and you can clean underneath too.

No trim should break as it is held on by screws and slid into place.

Remove one screw from each track cover, then slide the trim back to remove.

Two 13mm bolts holding the seat at the front, then unplug connections and slide all the way back out of the tracks.

Maneuver out of car.

Remove the screw at the front of the seat trim and carefully pry off each side.

Pry out the folded in portion of the seat cover from the frame and work around to remove.

I have personally re-trimmed 3 sets of Passat seats. Trust me, you want that seat out so you can wrestle with it. I seriously doubt you'd be able to fold the seat cover edge back under to secure it if in the car. Not a lot of leverage in a confined space like that.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Why?

Because there are fasteners for the bench cover that can only be manipulated and removed while the seat is upside down.....because they were likely installed while the seat was upside down on some assembly line. Hog rings...get some pliers and a large flat blade screwdriver... ;)

Now if you wanted to only "mess" with something inside the seat back, I'd laugh if you told me you were gonna remove the entire seat.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Why?

Because there are fasteners for the bench cover that can only be manipulated and removed while the seat is upside down.....because they were likely installed while the seat was upside down on some assembly line. Hog rings...get some pliers and a large flat blade screwdriver... ;)

Now if you wanted to only "mess" with something inside the seat back, I'd laugh if you told me you were gonna remove the entire seat.
Exactly. I recovered our Passat seats a couple years back (fun fact, MKIV Jetta seat covers and pads will fit on Passat seat frames with no modification) and it was a bitch to get that fabric and foam stretched over the seat frame. I'm not sure how you would even be able to do it with the backrest still installed, let alone while it's still in the car. You're gonna have to wrestle with it and will want to be able to move around as much as possible.

Plus you can take the seat inside and do all that arduous pulling and tugging and cursing in the comfort of your air conditioned living room rather than cramped in a hot car outside :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
You should disconnect the battery negative before unplugging the seat.
^Probably the most important post in the thread unless you have VCDS to reset the airbag light after removing the seat, or you dumbfoundedly turned the ignition on for some reason :banghead: while the driver's seat was out. I usually wait 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery to begin unplugging things.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't need to mess with the hog rings, etc., because I have a cushion that is already covered. I only need to swap one covered cushion for the other.

I am disconnecting the battery and taking the whole seat out. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a '98 passat and a friend had a '98 - '00 golf both had same seats. I am sure that the seats were a "parts bin" piece for several of the VW cars.

·
Registered
877 Posts
^Probably the most important post in the thread unless you have VCDS to reset the airbag light after removing the seat, or you dumbfoundedly turned the ignition on for some reason :banghead: while the driver's seat was out. I usually wait 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery to begin unplugging things.
LOL, I discovered that one by accident. I had swapped out the CCM under the carpet and turned on the ignition with the seat out to test it. I quickly realized it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but since I do have a laptop with VCDS is wasn't a big deal. Problem is, disconnecting the battery could still require VCDS for other things like doing a TBA so it's a matter of what you want to deal with. I don't think it's an issue if the battery is disconnected for a short period, but a TBA may be required if you leave it disconnected for an extended period. That being said, I've never disconnected the battery just to remove the seats and never had an issue, and I've removed the seats more times than I can count over the years to work on my aftermarket stereo system. The airbag light shouldn't come on as long as you don't turn on the ignition with the seat out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts