Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 Passat Variant, 1.8T, tiptronic, 96K miles. If you let off the gas suddenly while driving at a constant pace (not accelerating), something clunks, rather than just smooth deceleration as I would expect. Also some vibration while stopped in gear, especially with the A/C on.

My first guess after scouring the forums was that the front mount was shot. I picked up a new OEM rubber puck and replace the old one. Once the old one was removed, you could see that it had worn flat by about 1/4". This seemed to help the vibration while stopped, but didn't fix the clunk.

Could the tranny/diff/driveshafts just be worn that much? Could the left/right mounts be causing this?

Any other ideas?

- Curtis

·
Registered
352 Posts
funny i gues we have the same problems!! the "clunk" we hear I believe is the front mount you replaced, if you noticed when you replaced it, it had some slack, well its supposed to be that way(according to the dealer)........and the vibration, those are defenetly your side motor mounts, i just replaced mine and its a world of difrence!!! both of mine had collapsed!! there is a "how to" in the info forum......good luck.... :thumbup: laters man

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alfredo -

Hmm. This is tricky, cuz everybody has a different idea of how bad a clunk has to be before it's too bad. I'm sure some drivetrain slop is to be expected, but this clunk is definitely more than you'd feel in a new Passat. Perhaps I'll have to have a dealer drive it and see if they think mine is normal.

When I replaced the puck, the old one definitely had slack -- to the tune of 1/4" or so. The new one wasn't super tight in the housing, but didn't have much, if any, slack.

Both of my side mounts still seem okay. With the bottom nuts removed, I compressed them both with a big ole' flat screwdriver, and they both had spring left in them -- i.e. not collapsed.

With almost 100K miles on it, I'm speculating that something in the tranny is just worn enough to introduce some extra slack. Since this happens in every gear, I'd guess the final drive or differential could be the culpret.

- Curtis

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would say have a look at all your motor/tranny mounts. There are five total, all five of mine were bad at 70K. 99 Passat 1.8T Tip

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Are you sure its motor/tranny related?

For the last 2 years I have a "Clunk" whenever I hit the brakes. It might happen at all speeds, but I can only hear it at say parking lot speeds. I have assumed all this time it was control arm related.(and have been witing on a recall..lol) Still do. Last week I replaced my L/H and Snub mounts (went to a Poly one..much stiffer and longer lasting...$20 from Autotech. The original one was split!!!) The car is MUCH tighter feeling....but still have the clunk. Will replace all control arms/tie rod ends/springs in a month or two....hopefully then the clunk will be gone.

5sp in mine BTW. 100,412 miles too. :D

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
cwitt said:
JEM -

Where are the other 2 mounts, and how difficult are they to replace?

- Curtis
Hope this helps, I had mine replaced by the dealer and paid for by my extended warranty :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JETninja -

I'm pretty positive it's drivetrain-related. The suspension and handling are all super tight on the car. Amazing, considering the mileage.

- Curtis

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My handling seems good enough considering stock shocks/springs and 100K+....I cant wiggle anything. But the noise seems to be coming from up there...and just too many 98-00 cars with 40K+ having Control Arms, Tie Rod ends, and new find the Sway Bar links (make a clunk of some kind also!) crapping out. I drive 70m a day...FREEWAY! Cant get any easier on the suspension/drivetrain then that.....

Crap VW design......changed in '01.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.