Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the front flex brake lines on an A4, and these are identical to the Passat. at the spot where the hard metal line comes to the bracket where the flex line meets, I am trying to disconnect these (11mm, btw...).

the nut is stuck on the metal line, as in the entire metal line is twisting as I try to loosen the nut. anyone have any pointers here? I'd prefer not to twist off and/or break the metal lines. I have already sprayed them with PB Blaster.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
When I replaced the OE lines with stainless lines on my B5.5 I used a wire brush and thoroughly cleaned each connection, sprayed with a penetrating oil, tightened the fittings; using "flare nut" wrenches, and had no problems breaking them loose. And this was after 6 years of wonderful salty Hungarian winters.

Good luck.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they broke loose. after spraying them, I then tightened and then loosened them with good effect.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Glad you got it done. I have replaced several that were severely rusted back when I lived up there. If soaking with penatrating oil does not work, heat usually will. Make sure you have a good set of line wrenches as an open end will not cut it. The cheap line wrenches will often flex open too. Sometimes I miss my SnapOn tools, but they were expensive and I can not justify the cost right now.

Don't forget to change the fluid if you use heat as it will boil the fluid.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
metal braided lines for street use are a waste of money. how's that? ;)

plus, you can't see when the rubber hose inside the braid starts to break open...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I see it as an upgrade from the original flex hoses that I think are on there. The way that I take care of my cars I know they will be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts