Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife's B6 Passat always gets condensation in the fog lights, I think it's just since I replaced the bumper, I had to swap over both Fog lights,the O rings are installed, wondering what I did wrong, did I make them to well sealed so there is no airflow or what.

Anyone got any suggestions tips Ideas ??

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would think that there is moisture getting in and that maybe the o-rings are not sealing completely. I use a little dialectric grease on the rubber parts to help ease installation and be sure parts are fitting together as they should...other than that, do the lenses have any cracks or checking of any kind...sometimes they just get old and let air in....

JP

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

the lenses are perfect...no cracks , this only started after I transferred them to the new bumper, the O rings don't seem to have a proper recess to sit into, I might try the a bit of vaseline to help them seat properly as you said !

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
[Note: this is based on my knowledge of the fog lights in the B5.5 and B7 S4, I am assuming that B6 fog light housings are of the same or similar design.]

The [B5.5] fog light units are not hermetically sealed, they have a vent that lets heat/pressure escape when the bulb burns and the air expands. If you have condensation, it could be from leakage at the seal, or it could be that the air cooled in the housings while they were exposed to high humidity, sucking in very wet air in the process. Is your belly pan intact? Excessive moisture exposure down low will eventually get in your lights, and it usually remediates itself in the warmer, drier months. If it is a nuisance, you can remove them and let them dry out completely indoors overnight, and then reinstall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

If I leave the fog lights on for about an hour they dry out, bottom pan is good, not sure If B5.5 is the same but probably ?? they're round ! we've definately got high humidity the last few months about 80-90%, raining non stop :(

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Foglamp fitting?

Hi all,

i have a B6 Passat which did not come with fog lights. I would like to know if the wiring loom is already set up to accept them and is it simply a case of locating the plugs behind the bumper, fitting/upgrading the fuse (in case its shared) and replacing the switchgear for the headlights with one that caters for front and rear foglamps or if it is more difficult than that?

·
Registered
888 Posts
No, the loom isn't there on the B6 '06MY -- There's two ways to install: Get the loom from Kufatec comes complete with all destructions. Grills and lights available from either main dealer or Hella. Or you might find at a scrappy -- just my luck, nothing around when I wanted but there's now two B6 Passats at scrapyard in Erith marshes !
So paid full price from Hella and wired them in paralell via isolating relay with LED rocker switch just adjacent to driver's side drop down drawer. You can't have fogs as DRLs this way, but front fogs can be switched on/off irrespective of your headlight switch setting.

The Hella part numbers for my B6 Estate were: OSF 475 44 1510 (VW 1N0 271 297-041) and NSF 475 44 1500 (1N0 271 296-031) £170 the pair inc VAT for the fogs and grills. Dunno what VW charge. Relay, switch, connectors came to £17. Prices Nov'07

If you want static cornering lights using the direct connect method then Genlabs do a controller for this. Search Genlabs, they're on eBay.

Here's a thread that connects the retro-fitted fogs the OEM way into the CECM (Central Electronics Control Module) Emphasis is on MkV Jetta, but principle is the same for Passat, etc.
VWVortex.com - DIY: Foglights Retrofit (CECM Method)

Yellow LEDs will give you a bit more illumination into dense fog, as will fitting yellow Laminex to inside of fogs' lenses on the grills

·
Registered
888 Posts
Coz their sales philosophy is to stop aftermarket fittings. I tried to get main dealer (huge dealership Sinclair Swansea) to fit fogs when I bought but all I got was melodramatic sighs, looks into the middle distance, sorrowfull shaking of heads as if I was the one mad enough to even ask.
Eventually found out that it's to support their new car sales which have these options but only at purchase. Same with sunroof, same with upgrade to RNS510, etc. Nearly walked away from buying when they came running after to tell me they could fit reverse parking sensors... This on a one year old car... Go into any of the newly emerging far east manufacturers' dealerships and it's "how can we help, sir!"

Forgot the URL for the "Laminex" (cloned) yellow film.
Yellow Car Taillight Fog Head Light Headlight Tint Film Wrap 12x24" | eBay
£1.39 inc. p&p from HK for two foot piece by one foot :) Unroll it and keep flat on receipt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.