Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
background:
for those who have followed any of my posts, I've been doing front end work on my car over the last couple of months. so far, I've replaced tierods (with Pokey's help) and axles due to trashed CV joints and torn boots, as well as front tires. I have a 99 GLS with a V6/MT5.

I just got new front tires this past Friday (1/12/07). over the weekend, I've noticed a couple of things that I could use a little help in identifying.

1) at highway speeds, there is a whirring noise coming from the front end that is related to speed. it changes in intensity (loudness) as a function of drivetrain load; it gets louder when there is less load on the drivetrain, as in when I am coasting/going down hills. it sounds like it is coming from the driver's side in the front. it doesn't matter if I am turning or not, and is not really discernable at low speeds. wheel bearing starting to go, perhaps?

2. When accelerating and changing gears, I get a slight thump from the same area - driver's side front. it happens when under moderate to hard acceleration, at the moment I stuff the clutch to the floor. is it most likely control arm wear?

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
checked the lugs. one had worked loose a wee bit, but not enough to cause this sort of problem as it was still well engaged.

ya know, this could be indicative of the noise a failing CV Joint makes as well... anyway I'm gonna make an appointment to get the wheel bearings looked at, and replaced if they are marginal.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
follow-up; driver's side wheel bearing was shot. it had play in it, and that's what was causing all the noise.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Wow was that also causing the knocking sound too?!
Nice job on getting that problem pinned down.
I'd stick with that mecahnice/shop. :thumbup:

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
additional followup on this...

I had a conversation with my brother, who runs parts and service departments for several dealerships. I mentioned I changed out the axles and my problems with doing them, and that I had to replace a wheel bearinng. he said he wasn't surprised; if you simply MOVE the car without an axle connected up and properly torqued (as I did when I couldn't get the driver's side axle in), he said ALL Nissan products will trash the wheel bearings. I'm assuming our Passats use similar bearings; therefore, I may have damaged the bearing myself.

Note to all who read this: DO NOT MOVE THE CAR ON THE TIRES AND WHEELS IF THE AXLES ARE NOT INSTALLED AND PROPERLY TORQUED. you may damage the wheel bearings.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow was that also causing the knocking sound too?!
Nice job on getting that problem pinned down.
I'd stick with that mecahnice/shop. :thumbup:
yes, it was the wheel bearing. they didn't troubleshoot it - I did. told them what to order, and they scheduled my appt, and when I dropped the car off, they checked and verified it.

I will say, this is a pretty decent shop, tho. the alignment tech impressed me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts