Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for awhile (probably 2 months or so) my car has been making an odd clunking noise on the driver side. It only really happens at low speed. I assumed it was a bad strut mount (since I didn't replace them when I put my Koni's in). Well this weekend I tore everything out and noticed that the strut mount looked totally fine (I replaced it anyway). I checked the tie rods, all of the control arms, and the sway bar end links. Calipers and brackets are tight too. I've read about maybe rack and pinion bolts coming loose so I checked that too and they were fine. Everything looked okay. My Koni's were leaking a little bit of fluid (probably from slamming some massive pot holes this winter) but they look fine otherwise. So then I grabbed ahold of the CV axle shaft and wiggled it -- there was some play going back and forth...maybe about an 1/8th of an inch. Is that normal? Anything else I could have missed?

I reassembled the car, making sure that I properly pre-loaded all suspension components before tightening them to proper torque specs with a brand new strut mount and the noise didn't go away.

Jacking up the car and turning the wheel back and forth doesn't seem to cause the clunk... just going over bumps at a low speed. :confused:

· Registered
784 Posts
is there any vibrations to go with the noise? general rule of thumb is if you feel it in the wheel its upper suspension, feel it in the pedals its lower suspension, and feel it in the car its something like motor mounts or a shield or the like. of course every case is different, but thats what i was taught. take it to a shop that does free estimates and have them take a look at it. they will give you a list of parts they want you to pay for, and that will give you a list of things to target.

when you got the play in the CV, was the axle locked in place with something? you may have been seeing the gear lash of the transmission. CVs have only a few thousandths of clearance, and have negligible movement rotationaly. all the movement they are designed for is pivot, and in the case of the inner joint, plunge. how do your boots look? im talking CV, not fashion choices :lol:. if they are ripped an the wheel well is nicely greased i would say the joint is suspect. and i would say inner, because outer would have clicked on turns for a long time.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't consider motor mounts. I haven't seen any barney blood underneath the car but they could very well be worn out. No vibrations to speak of. Although there is a tad bit of vibration at idle, that's probably due to my snub mount.

When I wiggled the CV axle the knuckle was fully bolted on, and the car was in 1st gear.

I don't feel it in the wheel, but if my foot rests on the dead pedal I'll feel it there.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
Did you check all of the subframe bolts? They are stretch bolts, but I've re-used mine several times. I usually go to 100ft/lbs on the 4 main ones, 60 on the front outer will usually get rid of any clunking from that area.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
No, they might just need a half to a full turn to stop a noise. It may not affect the alignment at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.