Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...never heard/read of the door lock/latch mechanism failing (locked) quite like this. Think it's a Rockwell design.

It's the '99 Passat. Regardless of door lock rod position, the passenger's front door won't open, from the inside or outside. Interior panel is off and about to loosen those 10mm clamp bolts to raise window so reg panel can come off the door shell.

Anyone else destroyed the electronic/sender portion of the lock module to get a front door latch to open? There's a black plastic "insert" in top side of the latch that looks like it could be pushed out with sender portion from below.

If I have to use a hammer chisel or angle grinder on the latch housing, I'll make a youtube video. ;)

edit:
Rear door will come off to access the faulty latch. And something about a plastic pawl inside latch that leads to failure if it sticks in the wrong spot.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v.../379521-driver-door-wont-open-inside-out.html

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If the latch is definitely unlocked (lock rod has pulled the lever to unlock) and the outer handle is definitey connected and working, I would try a medium sized kick on the inner door panel while a helper is holding the outside handle outward. If that doesn’t work, it sounds like the back door screwdriver approach is next.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled the right rear door to access the striker "U" and latch...five good whacks to the striker (now well bent) with a ball pein hammer, and 2mm punch, and the interior (Bowden) cable can once again open the latch.

If you ever need to change a door striker, never completely remove both bolts...if you do, you'll be disassembling the b-pillar trim.:D

Light cosmetic damage to the front door, near latch. Touch up paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts