Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Front door frame bent at bottom. Floor jack puck for pinch weld slipped out of saddle, saddle went into door. Probably a pebble kept the jack from rolling as I lifted. I was lifting on asphalt. I made the mistake of turning around as I lifted because it's easier for me to push than pull the jack lever, and I didn't notice what was happening. I'll put the jack on plywood and watch it from now on.

I'm thinking I'll use vise grip pliers, grip onto the bent lip with some rubber in between and then tap the head of the pliers with an air hammer. Does that sound ok?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Complete doors are $45 or so at my local pick-a-part places. I've bought several just to get rid of door dings. Replacement is easy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never been to a pick-a-part, I'll have to look into that and see if there are any near me in Westchester/NYC. I need to find a replacement driver's side fender, it's rusted near the bottom and a big chunk came off as I was banging this door frame dent out. I went on car-parts but the closest fender in my color is like 75 miles away and $75.

I don't need a new door though. I was successful today in bending back the lip by using a clamp with some rubber to roughly bend it back and then like half an hour of banging with a sacrificial piece of 4x4 with mini sledges to get it straight. I had the door open when I did it of course. I also tried an air hammer with a piece of rubber over the area to protect it but it wasn't very effective.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts