Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that our v6 glx's front center vent (two center-- the one on right)
that one of the vent element was off track when i tried to close the vents.
I tried to fix it this morning, but as it turns out, it was 'broken' off the sliding arm inside. i tried to 'fix' but to no avail. Now, the right side center vent has a missing slat, and that the manual control to shut/open the vent is no long connected to any of the 'slat's.. needless to say, I probably have to pry this vent off the car and try to fix via glue..if not-- just replace it entirely.
I was looking as a vw parts website and i came across $103-141.00 for center vents- i'm not sure if i was looking at the correct part.

Has anyone had to replace their center vent, and also how difficult is it to remove and reinstall?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I think i'm gonna go post in the classified for used center vents.

erick

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Removal is easy there are directions just do a search. I suggest just going to a bone yard rather then buying it a new.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool!!! thanks for that info!!! I thought i've searched but did not come up or see that post. Great help!!!

E

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got a center vent for my 2000 b5 for like $8.95 at a parts yard and they did all the work of getting it out and finding the right model. fixing those little slats are a pain if your not careful.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
wow, thanks for pointing to that writeup!

on a side note, hey b5nutz, what is that in your passenger compartment?

·
Registered
537 Posts
got a second hand vent set up for 2 p[ounds over here in UK from some kind chap breaking a passat. it was a different colour to mine but seeing it enabaled me to take mine apart without breaking anything an dthen use odd bits from the other to make mine good. very pleased as it had been broken since I got the car. try a breakers yard if you can.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm definitely in the hunt for a used front/center vents.

thanks for the feedback-- now i just need to have the guts to really get in there and pry it off the dash w/out damaging anything more.

E.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Are you sure they're broken? My dog puts her paw through mine at leat four times a year. I've gotten pretty good at reassembling them. The slats should have two nubs on one side, but only one on the other. The top slat is shorter than the rest.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
twomany,

yeah it's broken--it's one of the little lever inside that moves the slats open/close.. the piece broke off.. i'm going to try to make this one of my projects to remove the vent and see if i can 'glue it back...yah right..it's a very verysmall piece--traditional VW plastic pieces that breaks off and not easy to fix. :banghead: another project added to my list of; replace front wheelwell for the passat 1.8t/ replace the lower shield w/ w8 shield, shampoo the interior, and also the interior of our v6 glx.. neverending love! :rolleyes:
I will try to take photos.

e

1 - 11 of 11 Posts