Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 Audi A6 Avant Quattro, I realize I am on a VW forum, but I find that the people on most of the Audi forums ( I mean no disrespect) don't seem to be mechanically inclined. Having read this forum, it seems the patrons here do more of their own maintenance.

So here’s my question.

My car has 115k on it, when I turn rather sharply at low speeds; there is a binding feeling from the front of the car. If I turn the wheel all the way one way while stopped and then take off there is binding as well. From what I have found out so far this seems somewhat normal for Quattro systems. But I have to believe this is not completely true. Mine does this binding while turning into parking spaces, leaving parking lots while turning sharply, but only while giving it gas. If I just coast into a parking spot it does not do it.

I have changed the front/center diff fluid, the rear diff fluid with no change.

Is this really normal? I would appreciate any advice. I have owned this car for about 1 month and it really bothers me. This symptom reminds me of my moms old Geo Tracker while in 4 x4 mode. But I though AWD cars acted differently while turning sharply.

Thanks,

Jeff in Minneapolis

One last question is the A6 Avant Quat really just a VW Passat Wagon 4Motion?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I can't answer much, but the Passat is essentailly an extended B5 A4.
That said, our cars share a numbe rof parts so you might get your answer here.
/If not, there's a large number of good VW/audi shops in MSP

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have a 00 Audi A6 Avant Quattro, I realize I am on a VW forum, but I find that the people on most of the Audi forums ( I mean no disrespect) don't seem to be mechanically inclined. Having read this forum, it seems the patrons here do more of their own maintenance.

So here’s my question.

My car has 115k on it, when I turn rather sharply at low speeds; there is a binding feeling from the front of the car. If I turn the wheel all the way one way while stopped and then take off there is binding as well. From what I have found out so far this seems somewhat normal for Quattro systems. But I have to believe this is not completely true. Mine does this binding while turning into parking spaces, leaving parking lots while turning sharply, but only while giving it gas. If I just coast into a parking spot it does not do it.

I have changed the front/center diff fluid, the rear diff fluid with no change.

Is this really normal? I would appreciate any advice. I have owned this car for about 1 month and it really bothers me. This symptom reminds me of my moms old Geo Tracker while in 4 x4 mode. But I though AWD cars acted differently while turning sharply.

Thanks,

Jeff in Minneapolis

One last question is the A6 Avant Quat really just a VW Passat Wagon 4Motion?
yes,both are the torsen awd system ,also same issues on my passat 4-motion,had the dealer check it out a few times when it was under CPO warranty,and of course, one time they said they felt,and heard it and reccomended replacing tires(which at the time was needed)still did it after replacement tires anyway!!!!!!!(michelin exalto pilot a/s directional 205-60x15) best thing i ever did though was getting those tires)one time they said,could not duplicate ,anyway its off warranty and still doing [email protected],000 miles,............also have another noise issue,only after starting each time then going foward about a car length get a noise which they (dealer)says is abs checking itself,my fwd pasat dosnt do that,so i dont think its normal,

VW does .................anyway good luck

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
try the forums at www.audiworld.com

specifically try the C5 A6 forum. There are mechanically inclined people there.

Also, try searching all forums for something like "binding quattro"...since the torsen quattro system is used on ALL modern Audis except the TT/A3, you may get some good hits from people who have had the same experience as you have had, even if they dont have an A6.

BTW, when my rear diff threw a seal, there was oil all over the place under the car. the oil weeps down the axle...then flies all over the under body.

FWIW, my A4 w quattro does not have a binding feel. I suggest checking that the rear parking brake is functioning correctly and that the rear calipers can float off the rotors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Actually 4Motion is the same thing as Quattro IV.
There are some mechanically inclined people on Audiworld.
I have actually found it a better resource for the 2.8 30valve - the people over there don't think God created the 1.8T on the eighth day.

I will now don my Nomex flame suit - let the roasting begin...

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Actually 4Motion is the same thing as Quattro IV.
There are some mechanically inclined people on Audiworld.
I have actually found it a better resource for the 2.8 30valve - the people over there don't think God created the 1.8T on the eighth day.

I will now don my Nomex flame suit - let the roasting begin...
Haha

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good suggestions, but

I am confident it is not the axles. Had them go bad on my Saab 9000 years ago. I am a member of Audiforums.com and Audiworld.com, both websites I posted this same question about a week ago and on both forums I have yet to have even 1 reply. It seems both boards like to discuss Tires, wheels and general modifications. There does seem to be some good techs there, but I can't seem to get them to talk. Every post I ask that is technical seems to go unanswered, or the responses are illogical. Again I mean no disrespect to the Audi boards, but it just seems that Audi buyers and VW buyers are very different people, with very different expectations from their cars. Just as Lexus and Toyota buyers are very different.

With this board, in the first 2 hours of my post I had 6 responses. WOW. The responses made sense and people acutally seem to care. I appreciate all the responses I have received, and am grateful you are willing to help even though I am in the wrong board.

I do all my own repairs, except pulling engines and trannys. So I am very mechanically inclined.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I am confident it is not the axles. Had them go bad on my Saab 9000 years ago. I am a member of Audiforums.com and Audiworld.com, both websites I posted this same question about a week ago and on both forums I have yet to have even 1 reply. It seems both boards like to discuss Tires, wheels and general modifications. There does seem to be some good techs there, but I can't seem to get them to talk. Every post I ask that is technical seems to go unanswered, or the responses are illogical. Again I mean no disrespect to the Audi boards, but it just seems that Audi buyers and VW buyers are very different people, with very different expectations from their cars. Just as Lexus and Toyota buyers are very different.

With this board, in the first 2 hours of my post I had 6 responses. WOW. The responses made sense and people acutally seem to care. I appreciate all the responses I have received, and am grateful you are willing to help even though I am in the wrong board.

I do all my own repairs, except pulling engines and trannys. So I am very mechanically inclined.

Thanks,
Jeff
Wierd I just searched all of AudiWorld going back this past month. No posts that I could find (from you) with the word "quattro" and "binding".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come on now, are you really that suspicious and territorial that you would search for my posts. If you would like I posted under Jeff & Tony and Tony & Jeff as well as Jeffla. I can't believe you would come out calling me liar without giving me the benefit of the doubt. What a great member you are.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Come on now, are you really that suspicious and territorial that you would search for my posts. If you would like I posted under Jeff & Tony and Tony & Jeff as well as Jeffla. I can't believe you would come out calling me liar without giving me the benefit of the doubt. What a great member you are.
well my intent was to:
a) help you by doing a more exhaustive search on AW of the terms
b) find your post there and see the advice given

I know 2 of the moderators over on the AW A6 forum, and they're very into wrenching as well. im sure if they saw your post, they'd answer.

anyway. :whistle:

·
Registered
396 Posts
A slight binding in very tight turns is not unusual with this awd system, despite what some may say. Our Passat does this, I'm not worried.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Try changing out your power steering fluid first.

I like taking small maintenance steps before proceeding to
larger, more elaborate means. Addressing maintenance issues
often inadvertently uses the process of elimination and is not
contradictory. That said, I would first drain the power steering
fluid with a kitchen baster and refill with fresh fluid. This method
won't get all of the fluid out, but do it a few times and I think
you'll be fine. Another "next" step would be to look at your PS belt.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Mine will do it on a tight turn too. If you have already changed the fluid, not much else you can do.

The Passat is closer to the A4 in size and design, but the 4MO rear suspension is based on the A6. Springs/shocks are interchangeable with the A6 (but sadly not the sway bar). The front suspension design is the same with the A6 and A4. The hub carriers and brakes are different depending on the model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts