Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I noticed that the light in my ashtray was on and off for the past few days and this morning, it is permanantly gone. Just wonder if this is an easy fix. Can anyone show me with a write up on how to do this fix? I hate to let the dealership take apart the console and mess with it just to fix a little lite.

Thanks a lot.

FYI, mine is a 2003 Passat GLS

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I tried this on my own. I have a 2000 1.8T, Manual Trans., so the it may be different, by the ashtrays are the same I think. Anyway, I had to remove the entire center consol (from the armrest to the dash). After that, I believe I removed another piece and then had access to the ashtray assembly. Pull the ashtray assembly. Purchase a new light.

Now comes the hard part. The lamp is almost impossible to remove. It's like VW thought that the lamp would never burn out, or nobody would ever care. After not being able to remove the lamp (days), I took it to the dealer and the regional engineering guy couldn't even help me. You need to get the lamp out. This is very difficult. Just work on it, you have nothing to loose, except your patience. Eventually, something will work for you.

There is nothing in a manual anywhere. Just have patience and good luck. Sorry, no further details.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks "mstrplnr" for your advice.

This sounds too much for me. Even a regional engineer could not do this right away. I do not even have any idea on how to remove the shift knob on my Tip to then remove the console cover. Fortunately, the cig lighter is still working and I guess I will stay with that. I will check to see if this is covered by new car b2b warranty. If so, I will wait unitl I cannot bear any longer.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
432 Posts
See my post in the "How to remove the lighter socket" thread. You can do it with some patience and care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
the_dread
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing