Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance this will pass? :crazy:

( 03-08 ) 18:39 PST SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) --

A proposed amendment to California's constitution would give 16-year-olds a half-vote and 14-year-olds a quarter-vote in state elections.

State Sen. John Vasconcellos, among four lawmakers to propose the idea on Monday, said the Internet, cellular phones, multichannel television and a diverse society makes today's teens better informed than their predecessors.

The idea requires two-thirds approval by the Legislature to appear on the November ballot.

"When we gave the vote to those who didn't own property, then to women, then to persons of all colors, we added to the richness of our democratic dialogue and our own nation's integrity and its model for the world," Vasconcellos said, calling it time to further extend the vote.

A Republican colleague said it was "the nuttiest idea I've ever heard."

Said Assemblyman Ray Haynes: "There's a reason why 14-year-olds and 16-year-olds don't vote. They are not adults. They are not mature enough. They are easily deceived by political charlatans."

Student supporters said the idea could give them a say in issues such as education funding and bring new voices to the California electorate.

"If we could vote, politicians would see us as votes, not just kids, and they would take our issues seriously," said Robert Reynolds, a student at Berkeley High School.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/03/08/national2139EST0788.DTL

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think the politically uninformed teenagers greatly outnumber the politically informed teenagers. Not that being uninformed stops the rest of the population from voting. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
They seem to think doing this will help increase overall voter turn out IIRC. I'm hoping it doesn't pass. Voter apathy is sucky but no vote = no bitch rights so if no one wants to vote it just gives those of us who do a little more voice.

Though I have to say, ads aimed at kids might be funny. "vote for prop 99 because candy is cool!" :D

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
91 16V Jetta said:
A Republican colleague said it was "the nuttiest idea I've ever heard."
Almost as nutty as the idea that a person can't vote because of arbitrary limits but can be tried as "an adult" in the criminal justice system.. However, that wasn't the real gem of this quoted article

There's a reason why 14-year-olds and 16-year-olds don't vote ... They are easily deceived by political charlatans."
:lol: If that's the determining factor for who can vote, we have a serious problem!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
My thought is if we give someone the ability to drive then they should get the right to vote.

Right around 16 a lot people hold jobs... in which they pay taxes on the money the earn and the money they spend. If they drive a car then they pay taxes on that. Therefore they should have the ability to vote.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
powerslide23 said:
Personally, the voting age should be raised since many 18 YO and over don't know which way is up, etc.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the voting age used to be higher. Think about this though. You can go to war for your country but not vote in it?

Hell, when I was in the Army I was responsible for a $2 million tank but couldn't drink on base because I wasn't responsible enough?

18 is the right age, but 14 year old? WTF are they thinking? We would have f#$%ng Brittney Spears in office.

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Boris said:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: What's next, allowing pets to vote? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Nope. But teens will now argue about not having equal rights. Then if teens are given the right to vote (and a full vote), kids will argue about not having equal rights. Then it's the preschoolers.

When will it end?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
OOOOHHHHH MMMMYYYY GGGGGGOOOOOODDDDDD
WTF, i always think that i've seen it all then :suspicio: :crazy:

yeah my six month old pup should be able to vote, hell she only eats her own poop once or twice a day! :puke:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Boris said:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: What's next, allowing pets to vote? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Since they are sentient beings they should get 1/256 a vote. Trees should get 1/16384 a vote.

Either give teens the full vote or nothing, there's no such thing as partial suffrage. Frankly, I'm for it - we need a new bloc to offset the aging boomer vote. Those old hippie bastards will have us enslaved for their social security checks.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
hang on, a bit.

by the new (bush) standards, how does one count a teenager who ALSO WORKS AT FAST FOOD?

is that ALSO a manufacturing job? or some fraction thereof?

no, really. I'm serious. really.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Even if it does pass the voters, it is fundamentaly unconstitutional. This same idea was tried before the Civil War. A slave was considered 2/3's a person, which translated into additional seats in the House of Representatives, more electorial college votes, and other such measures for slave states. It is deeply rooted now in common law that we don't count someone as a 1/2, 1/4, or any other number or fraction other than 1. Nice try...

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
They can't even get college kids to vote and they want high schoolers to vote? yeah right....... my brother is 14 and i don't want him having any part in deciding what's going to happen to this nutty state :crazy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts