Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6 months in the minivan :cry:
I'm pimpin this:

83 300SD with 232,000 miles on it. The chromes will go next spring. not really into them and they're peeling in the holes anyway. I'm thinking 16 inch polished ones from a 98 CLK 320:
or 17 inch silver/polished lip from a 99-00 SL500:

The rear seat is out of a 91 S420, complete with headrests and the fronts, obviously a different color, I believe from the same year. Probably just gonna get nice covers for the fronts rather than try to dye the back seat black and still have gray door panels. Dash has 3 cracks and the console wood can use a refinishing. I'll debate the fix later. It has some minor issues that are priority.
There's a small rust hole under the right tail light and the trunk drip rail has a small rust spot on the left side and just under the rear glass. Getting an estimate for the repair on Tuesday along with respraying the roof, trunk and hood. In typical gray anthracite fashion, they're peeling. The small valance panel under the left headlight (Euro's) is rusted. A replacement is in the trunk awaiting paint & install. The sides are fine and no rust elsewhere. I'm doing pads & rotors with front bearings tomorrow. It has a mean pulsation and a slight bearing noise. The heat-a/c only blows from the defrost & foot wells. Have a new control head to install when I change out the crappy radio. Also gonna do a valve adjustment since I'm changing the valve cover gasket - a little wet towards the back. Also might need a center support bearing. I knew of these issues when I got it and for $2800, it's steal. Working for a parts store is gonna make it relatively cheap on me. :D
It amazes be that a 24 year old car can ride & drive as it does. It handles like no car this size has business doing. AND it's nice having leg room again. I'm only 6'2" and I can put my legs straight out. I can't do that in most new cars today.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts

and dont forget the final touch when you are rollin...

ps: now you have to change your screen name.....:poke:
PimpDaddy:lol:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

and dont forget the final touch when you are rollin...

ps: now you have to change your screen name.....:poke:
PimpDaddy:lol:
:biglaugh: :cry: :biglaugh:

It's a BIG car Scotty but I kinda like it. I put 125 miles on it since yesterday and I really like it. It takes a day and a half for a bump to be felt from front to rear with that wheelbase but damn if I wasn't taking curves well above their posted speeds. Maybe a greasecar kit when I'm done with the important stuff and another W8 6speed when I'm done with school. :D

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
i was not kocking the car, it's a nice ride.
my boss has a 80's SEL drop top with 20k original.
it's a little floaty for me but a nice freakin car.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.. Let's see. 30 mpg on the highway X 23.6 gallon tank... :whistle:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was not kocking the car, it's a nice ride.
my boss has a 80's SEL drop top with 20k original.
it's a little floaty for me but a nice freakin car.
I know you weren't. I've driven old SL's and this car is tighter. Not Bilstein/H&R tight but tight for a big car. I have to pick up the original 14's with snows. I may just refinish those since I have a bead blaster at work, sell them and keep the nasty chromes for winter.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
These are great cars. I looked at a few when they were 5-10 years old but there were always too many small things that I did not have the time/money/patience to fix. Congrats, it looks nice :thumbup:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
wow, this is an awesome car!! i'm 6'5" and need something big for ME and the family. i may have to look into something like this someday.

beautiful car. enjoy. i want to see pics of the greasecar conversion, too :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Great car I have a '85 with 113k on it...I love it....tons o' to a gas tank, still rides like the day we bought it, and I still enjoy driving it all time.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, this is an awesome car!! i'm 6'5" and need something big for ME and the family. i may have to look into something like this someday.

beautiful car. enjoy. i want to see pics of the greasecar conversion, too :D
And the seat isn't even all the way back with my legs straight out.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nice .. I mean, its no 123, but .... (j/k)

Oh yeah, I like the new style "bottlecaps" off the CLK. I'd love to get a set for the 123.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice .. I mean, its no 123, but .... (j/k)

Oh yeah, I like the new style "bottlecaps" off the CLK. I'd love to get a set for the 123.
"

:p

Chris, come to High Point Sunday and take it for a ride. You should have heard Elias yesterday.. "This fuckin thing is BIG !!!" :biglaugh:

"Ron, ya gonna go because half the car is already in the lane... " :biglaugh:

Yeah, the 123 is more nimble by sheer size & weight alone but damn if this car doesn't drive nice. Glides over bumps and still takes 25 mph curves at 55.. Gonna spend Saturday on the brakes, replace the rubber lines to the fuel filters - one is swollen and you can actually see it pulse with the injector pump. $2.00 worth of rubber fuel line from work.. :D I've got front & rear pads & rotors and front bearings to do, all the filters, 2 gallons of Rotella then to AutoHaus next week for the valve adjustment, v/c gasket and look into the vibration above 70 mph. Either center support bearing or flex disc is my guess. I'm going to Texas next month so I'll probably leave it at the body shop for the rust spots..

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'd love to on Sunday ... but I may be taking the SRT to the Mopar Nationals in E-town.
We shall see.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drove from Wayne to Lacey Twsp and back last night, making my trip odo read 340 miles and the fuel gauge still above 1/4 tank so I went to the truck stop at the top of Rt 17 at 1am on my way home to verify the gauge's accuracy. Took 14 gallons, X 340 miles = 24mpg average. Not bad. Gonna do a diesel purge tomorrow while changing the belts. The previous owner only put 20,000 miles on it in 4 years so the ride alone probably did some good. Changed the front & rear pads & rotors yesterday. Installed my PIAA Extreme whites for the high/low and Ion Crystal yellows for the fogs. What a difference.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
What .. you drive to Lacey and don't effing call? Wait .. who the hell invited you to Lacey? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What .. you drive to Lacey and don't effing call? Wait .. who the hell invited you to Lacey? Inquiring minds want to know!
Well I don't have your frekin number and the last time I saw you was at my place in Pompton Lakes 3 (4 ?) years ago along with The Crotchety Old Bastard.. :p
High friends in low places. I have all my shots now so I'm allowed out of the quarantine zone. :D

Did the diesel purge with Lubro Moly today. Didn't get dirty at all, just a little cloudy after about 15 minutes. It ran about 45 minutes on the 2 bottles. No smoke at all. New filters afterwards. It does feel a little more responsive though but this one was more responsive than my 123 ever was from the beginning. Should I assume it's that clean ? Changed the p/s fluid & filter and the belts. Alternator bolts were a bitch but smooth otherwise. Changed the warning light bulbs - dim or inop. C.O.B told me to be careful about removing the cluster with the oil line to the gauge but I guess the 126 is different as all the gauges are electric. Just have the diff and trans to service then I'm done with the basics. It's nice having parts connections. Next weekend is the radio, speakers and climate control head then on to the rust & paint. Other than covers for the front seats some time soon, the interior will be last. I also found a few minor things while doing the brakes, like a ripped right outer tie rod boot which will be addressed. Suspension is otherwise tight but I can see that some bushings are near the end of their usefulness. I'm going to Texas June 7th to the 12th. Probably leave it at the body shop then.

Low beams - couldn't get the pic with any less glare.

Just the fogs & city lights. Unplugged the headlights. Possible to mod the headlight switch to run this way ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts