Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been a member of this forum for a while but have not posted as I have spent most of my time on the TDI forums as my two previous cars were TDI Jetta's. As my family has grown and my left foot has needed a rest, and most importantly, my desire for an open-cabin larger car got the best of me and I have put on my big-boy pants and purchased a 2003 Passat Wagon V6. Massive difference in fuel mileage but I love the way the Passat rides and it's an open cabin so it is substantially better for audio (I build custom speakers for a living). And of course massively larger than the Jetta's. I'm really digging it. :)

Here is my previous car:

And my most recent acquisition:

Soooo...after newly aquiring my 2003 Passat Wagon V6 I knew to immediately chanage the air filters, both cabin and air filters. Here is a picture of the air filters side-by-side. New MANN filter on the left.

Now the cabin filter weighed about 2x more than the new MANN cabin air filter because the other filter literally had that much crap in it - leaves, dirt, more dirt, etc.

Picture is of the air filters:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This morning I took my V6 Passat Wagon to Guy Roberts VW in Newton NC. Guy's shop has serviced both of my prior VW's (Jetta TDI's) and has always been super reasonable, performed excellent work, etc, so I will always continue to bring my VW's to his shop for any and all repairs. So anyway, I took my car into his shop this morning with the following list:

1) Inspect/change the timing belt. I did a CarFax and the timing belt replacement did not show up so I can only assume it has not been changed.
2) Full transmission service. I know the transmissions are a known problem, so I would like to extend the life of the transmission as long as possible.
3) Inspect the ball joints, tie rods, etc, for wear and change them if needed.
4) Inspect the throttle response – it can feel like it hesitates or surges at times when starting from a dead stop.
5) The driver-side mirror does not adjust. Passenger mirror adjusts fine, but the drivers side is frozen in one position.
6) Hatch release at the bottom of the drivers door does not open the hatch. Hatch will open when the button is pressed on the remote but not with the switch on the drivers door (next to the fuel door release).

I thought Guy was going to keep the car at least until tomorrow but I got a call at 2:00 PM saying that the car was ready and my bill was only $250. They inspected the timing belt and said that it was recently changed and did not need changing, they did a full transmission service, said that all of the ball joints/tie rod ends/etc have all been replaced recently, fixed the power mirror problem and rear hatch issue as well. All of that for $250.

If any of you live anywhere near NC I highly suggest taking your VW's to Guy Roberts. Those of you reading this know that 99% of shops would have taken the bait and told you the timing belt needed replaced even if it didn't because it's a big expensive job. And even then, all of the little things taken care of as well in very good time. I dropped off the car at 9:30 AM and got the call that it was finished at 2:30 PM. :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
This morning I took my V6 Passat Wagon to Guy Roberts VW in Newton NC. Guy's shop has serviced both of my prior VW's (Jetta TDI's) and has always been super reasonable, performed excellent work, etc, so I will always continue to bring my VW's to his shop for any and all repairs. So anyway, I took my car into his shop this morning with the following list:

1)Inspect/change the timing belt. I did a CarFax and the timing belt replacement did not show up so I can only assume it has not been changed.
2)Full transmission service. I know the transmissions are a known problem, so I would like to extend the life of the transmission as long as possible.
3)Inspect the ball joints, tie rods, etc, for wear and change them if needed.
4)Inspect the throttle response – it can feel like it hesitates or surges at times when starting from a dead stop.
5)The driver-side mirror does not adjust. Passenger mirror adjusts fine, but the drivers side is frozen in one position.
6)Hatch release at the bottom of the drivers door does not open the hatch. Hatch will open when the button is pressed on the remote but not with the switch on the drivers door (next to the fuel door release).

I thought Guy was going to keep the car at least until tomorrow but I got a call at 2:00 PM saying that the car was ready and my bill was only $250. They inspected the timing belt and said that it was recently changed and did not need changing, they did a full transmission service, said that all of the ball joints/tie rod ends/etc have all been replaced recently, fixed the power mirror problem and rear hatch issue as well. All of that for $250.

If any of you live anywhere near NC I highly suggest taking your VW's to Guy Roberts. Those of you reading this know that 99% of shops would have taken the bait and told you the timing belt needed replaced even if it didn't because it's a big expensive job. And even then, all of the little things taken care of as well in very good time. I dropped off the car at 9:30 AM and got the call that it was finished at 2:30 PM. :thumbup:
I wish there was a VW shop like that near me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before and after headlight buffing to clear them up. Mothers Aluminum polish and a few different softness foam pads and a buffer pad attached to a drill were all I used. Total time - 5 minutes per headlight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts