Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

For my 40K service on my 2003 1.8T, I did most of the "biggie" required maintenance myself (air filter, cabin filter, oil & oil filter, tire rotation, etc.). I had my local indy mechanic check the belts, brake system, and other important bits (as a CYA).

I hemmed and hawed over paying my mechanic $70 to "check for leaks," per the VW maintenance schedule. I decided to pay for this, and lo & behold they found a small leak in the valve cover gasket. I brought the Passat to my dealer, who confirmed the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced ALONG WITH the cam tensioner seal. And all will be done under the 5 year, 60K warranty! :thumbup:

Just a reminder to not cut corners, even if you suspect the car is in pretty good shape. I bet you more experienced techs know this already, so this is for the light do-it-yourselfers who read these forums...

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If you're apparch the end of B2B or drivetrain, its best to pay someone experenced to look for any and all problems, no matter how minor, covered under the warranty.
Small problems can morph into expensive and big ones in the passat (and many cars)
Not sure this is a garage topic though

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're apparch the end of B2B or drivetrain, its best to pay someone experenced to look for any and all problems, no matter how minor, covered under the warranty.
Small problems can morph into expensive and big ones in the passat (and many cars)
Not sure this is a garage topic though
I guess it's up to the moderators... Didn't think a post about "definitely have a mechanic check for oil leaks as called for on the VW maintenance schedule" would be out-of-place, especially for those who are newer to working on their Passats and who read these forums.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts