Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a technical road related quetion...

[rant]
Why the hell does the DOT come by and ruin otherwise smooth roads by smearing blacktop along the shoulder and right edge of the road?
It's almost always on 2 lane roads too.

They almost always cover up the shoulder line.
The "smear" is uneven, and tends to start thick and then fizzle out with bumpy clumps of tar towards the end..

Imagine taking a paint roller, dipping it in the pan of paint, and then rolling it out across a wall until theres nothing left on the roller..

Its like that but with asphalt...

Is this some preperation for repaving?

I really hate this crap. :mad:

[/rant]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't mean the rumble strips..
Those are a good idea..

This is just a 2 foot wide stretch of blacktop over an asphalt road.. Seems they've done it to many of the roads in my town, but they're not continuous, and when they fade out they're bumpy and noisy..

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Its probably because they have left over asphalt from a paving project in the area and its better for them to just dump it and half ass smooth it than it is to bring it back and then dump it. Once you heat that crap up, you've got to use it so why dump it back where they park the truck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If its a 2 lane road it may be to extend the paved area to help make the road a bit safer. I'll ask the wife tonight although I don't see that much here. We both work for the Lousiana DOT, her in Design, myself in Real Estate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.