Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

381 - 400 of 400 Posts

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
If somebody thought GWB was the best POTUS in history I'm sure they would use the logic above.
Your logic is failed. Demanding proof at the specific, individual, micro level is ridiculous. Your lack of economic or financial acumen is by no means proof that the issues don't exist - just proof that you lack the tools to discuss the topic intelligently. Analysis of some of the larger fails in terms of funding, method of enforcement, subsidization, failed assumptions on enrollment rates, etc. have been previously covered in this thread and plenty of other sources. Enjoy the sand surrounding your head and hope the tide doesn't come in on you.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Just I what I thought. You have no facts to back up your statements. Just fear and drivel the neocons love to repeat again and again. However, since you and Jimmy are from Texas I can understand, a state where 1 in 4 have no health coverage and worst in the nation, your are terrified. BTW, you forgot to remind me that in NYs it's 29 not 26. These ages represent very healthy people so I doubt it will effect my rates at all. Probably mere pennies. But then you know more about my health coverage than I do.

Using "idiot" twice in the same post illustrates how desperate you are to misdirect your answer to my question and clearly displays you lack of specific knowledge in this subject. I suggest you just stay with subjects you know. How about telling us all about your health coverage costs over the last few years and how the ACA has now affected you? Or do you not have any since you live in Texas?
I'm one of the ones not effected since Tricare was by name ruled compliant with ACA and does not have to change at all. That's why my 24 year old daughter has to pay $200/month for her coverage added to her my plan where as you pay the cost for other people's adult children that are in your insurers plan.

You asked for facts concerning you specifically than completely failed to provide any information that someone could then research your situation. (said SO much better by One8T above) You sir....are doing more than acting I'm afraid. But Kaiser Foundation, CBO and others have released reports that the additional coverage required by the AC has resulted in 25-50% of recent cost increases. Of course this varies by state since prior to the ACA each state decided on minimum coverage requirements.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
I would hope that you could see how someone could support everyone being able to access medical care, while at the same time seeing Obamacare as a travesty. I'll come back this evening or tomorrow to explain more.
hmmmm... I distinctly remember asking someone to educate us how they figured this was the federal government seizing economic control. five days and counting... <<crickets>>

·
Registered
953 Posts
Maybe if he wants to reach out to our country's young people, he can tell them to keep their dicks in their pants and/or their pants on and/or use a condom. If all those fail, maybe to not follow the pattern of their sperm and egg donor birth parents and stick around and be real parents for the kids they bring into this world.
Hey ONE8T, Not trying to offend conservative opinions, but it's great to drop in once in a while and read a statement where someone steps away from a well-considered argument and takes an opportunity to sound like a total tool. Placing yourself as a ranting fanatic is not likely to win hearts and change opinions in a positive way. Much respect otherwise for your willingness and ability to present your viewpoint(even if I disagree), but that one really brought out your softer side...

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
hmmmm... I distinctly remember asking someone to educate us how they figured this was the federal government seizing economic control. five days and counting... <<crickets>>
Go back and read. Think about it. If you still don't get it, I'll come back and spoon féed you.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Hey ONE8T, Not trying to offend conservative opinions, but it's great to drop in once in a while and read a statement where someone steps away from a well-considered argument and takes an opportunity to sound like a total tool. Placing yourself as a ranting fanatic is not likely to win hearts and change opinions in a positive way. Much respect otherwise for your willingness and ability to present your viewpoint(even if I disagree), but that one really brought out your softer side...
Thank you! Sometimes change starts in every citizen's pants.

I just feel we've come to equate freedom and "god given rights" with every low value, non productive, harmful, irresponsible (etc) act and the job of the government is to then directly or indirectly support it all. We all know who supports the government.

Since my original post you quoted there's even more buzz about Obama embracing his lifelong cause of helping minority boys succeed. That is an extremely worthy goal, aside from the part that all young men need help to succeed, regardless of color. Anyway, I'm struggling to understand how Obama's background in Hawaii, overseas, private schools, Harvard Law and his assortment of jobs after that in any way connects him to the (urban) minority youth. What in his background gives these kids a handle to grab onto?

·
Registered
953 Posts
When was the last time we elected a poor person to office? Which politician actually has the background to connect them to urban youth?

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
When was the last time we elected a poor person to office? Which politician actually has the background to connect them to urban youth?
No doubt about that, any POTUS would be empathizing only, not drawing on personal experience. If he can mobilize an effort, good should come of it. If he can take the racially directed program and make incremental good, his implied racism can be tolerated and hopefully the rising tide supporting the minority youth can help the country's impoverished white youth rise too. POTUS job is all about perception anyway and if good comes from it, good comes from it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
There have been a few less than wealthy presidents.

•Abraham Lincoln: Lincoln’s story is not just a cute legend; his family struggled mightily. As he once stated himself when someone asked him about his childhood, “It can all be condensed into a single sentence in Gray’s Elegy — ‘The short and simple annals of the poor’.”

•Andrew Johnson: Lincoln’s immediate successor came from perhaps the barest of means. Johnson lost his father when he was three years old and his mother sold Andrew and his brother into indentured servitude, apprenticed to a tailor in Raleigh, North Carolina. Indentured servitude was slightly better than slavery, but a horribly tough life. The Johnsons hated it so much that they escaped two years later.

•James Garfield: Garfield was one of those Presidents born in a log cabin. His father died when James was two years old and Garfield’s childhood in rural Ohio was very difficult.

•Lyndon B. Johnson: LBJ’s father was a successful businessman before LBJ’s birth, but in 1906 the San Francisco earthquake destroyed his cotton holdings and LBJ grew up in deep poverty in south central Texas. As a child, LBJ’s parents hired him out to neighboring ranchers to earn more cash for the family.

•Richard Nixon: Nixon’s father failed at pretty much every business he attempted and Richard Nixon grew up amid poverty and bad luck in Southern California. As Nixon often said, he grew up on “the poorest lemon ranch in California” and his father “sold it before they found oil on it.”

·
Registered
953 Posts
You're right! Let's re-elect Garfield! Wait, current candidates must be able to gather enough money for five months worth of negative TV ads, bus tours, and a huge team of people dedicated to do whatever they can to dig up enough isolated quotes to make the other guy look bad enough to get their candidate elected. Simpler times may just have made for a more honest process. Can't see too many ranch hands or failed farmers being able to scratch together enough coin to buy his way in nowadays. Great history lesson, though!

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Sciteach lives ... was wondering why the BH got lively all of the sudden. Gotta feel like a rockstar with all left winger members waiting on pins & needles for your response :p.

How have you been? Still in Houston?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sciteach lives ... was wondering why the BH got lively all of the sudden. Gotta feel like a rockstar with all left winger members waiting on pins & needles for your response :p.

How have you been? Still in Houston?
I always seem to bring out the best in people! I'm doing great, and still living near Houston. How is your golf game?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Was playing great until I had back surgery a few years ago, totally screwed up my timing. I've since moved to a golf course community, been playing with my sons almost daily, still same bad swing :p

I always seem to bring out the best in people! I'm doing great, and still living near Houston. How is your golf game?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Actually, ACA is by far the biggest improvement this country has had in decades. The businessmen/women within the U.S. medical community are the biggest whiners on the entire planet, the same for some doctors who buy that paper degree only to make a profit than to actually provide a healthier community as most genuine doctors do. It's too bad that most Americans are just livestock... and believe every word the media, friends, and relatives claim, than actually discovering the real facts.

(Excerpt: "I am your King! George W. Bush... heir to George W. Bush... I manipulated the Florida election in my favor and clearly I, George W. Bush, am not that bright due to the fact that I had left a long and winding paper trail to prove that I'm not only a fraud, but named emperor because a moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me. Besides, Dan Quayle and I broke up cause he wanted a cheap economical king bed, and I wanted the Princess Barbie bed that came along with the BARBIE Bedtime Princess Doll and Pajamas. I also lied about events that ocured within the Middle East because I wanted revenge and save my fathers face due to him crying like a baby during his presidency. I am also George W. Bush, George W. Bush' father, whom in fact threw a tantrum, when I was Pres, during Middle Eastern relations because I hadn't gotten my way and was almost assassinated in a foreign country, cause I cried like a baby and wanted that OIL deal so I can have everything I don't need, and so I could watch those whom actually work harder than I ever had struggle. Certainly we enjoy golfing, while a natural disaster is causing havoc within a portion of our glorious country and while we were teeing off the 8th hole we crossed our fingers hoping the area would just vanish and sink to the bottom of the ocean floor. Unfortunately, we were too pressured by public opinion and finally did something about the flooded region 6 months to a year later after the crisis. We also played with the American economy, thinking it was the board game Monopoly... but eventually informed by a certain billionaire that money from the United States Federal reserve wasn't 'Monopoly' money." -Georgie's)

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
It's a very slippery slope when purposely written words in a law don't matter anymore.
instead of taking potshots, why don't you specifically explain what you find to be in error, Jeff? I think the SPCOTUS got it right, but I'm willing to listen to your argument. I reserve the right to respond after July 6th - I'm going on vacation.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
It's a very slippery slope when purposely written words in a law don't matter anymore.
Yes, this case is sooo different from any of the other cases where the Court interprets vaguely worded legislation (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that's what the Supreme Court does). That slope has been slippery since the inception of the Court.

381 - 400 of 400 Posts