Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all of this excitement:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222561

We brought our daughter home on - of all days - my birthday. There evening, over cake and coffee, my wife handed me a card. Inside, there was a handwritten note - and that's what she gave me as a gift.

Couples will sometimes give each other "coupons" for free back rubs or dinner out or whatever. Well, my wife gave me one that read:

Good For One Car Toy
Go Crazy!

Oh, the temptation. I'm trying to be realistic, though.

Keeping in mind that I've already got GIAC chip tuning, new DV, tints, wheels (that I may or may not sell) and a nifty (free!) boost gauge, what comes next?

If I go cosmetic, it's going to be chrome roof rails. I've got a black wagon and I think the roof rails would look fantastic on my car. Just a little something to set them off, you know? My dealer has them for about $350 for the set.

If I go performance, I'd likely drop the beast. However, springs and dampers would be double the cost of the external accoutrements (the "t" is silent). With a new baby and all, I don't want to get nutso with the costs, so I'm looking to you, my faithful PWers, for ideas. No intakes. No exhaust (yet). No stereo stuff (I'm happy for now).

Maybe roof rails and door handles to set it off a bit? Wicked cool flame paintjob? (Kidding.) I'm tired as hell and out of ideas. Think for me, so I don't have to.

TIA

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I would go the suspension route.. KWSuspensions has a nice spring/shock kit for the Passat that rides like a dream and doesn't break the bank. What about satellite radio? A nice XM or Sirius install will make driving the Passat an even bigger pleasure!

Just make sure you give your wife an awesome coupon around her birthday. :) When all else fails, roses and Spa Treatment!!

Enjoy...

Will aka The Swami

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
what wheels do you have that you might sell?

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
A new antennae? :lol:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
I vote suspension. the Tire Rack (and other places) are starting to sell a koni FSD and eibach spring combo. I'm about to jump on a set, just want to make sure I get the best price.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Go for a nice recaro babyseat - she'll love you long time and you get to transport the new arrival in style/safety.

Failing that, chrome rails would look good but I agree, flames would kick ass

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My argument against suspension:

It'll soon be winter in Chicago. Snowplow effect, lots of construction near me, and ...uh ...something else. Arg.

Argument for:

Drop it and stop the bouncy-bouncy. And turning is more fun.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
wait, this is a tricky situation. but i have a way that'll get you 2 + mods out of this one. write her a note back with flowers or something saying this is my mod is to take you out to dinner or something. then she'll be so pleasantly surprised that you spend money on her instead of the car she'll tell you to go all out, twice! hahhahaha

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
wait, this is a tricky situation. but i have a way that'll get you 2 + mods out of this one. write her a note back with flowers or something saying this is my mod is to take you out to dinner or something. then she'll be so pleasantly surprised that you spend money on her instead of the car she'll tell you to go all out, twice! hahhahaha
good work. :thumbup:

after dinner, drop it. Nothing makes a passat wagon look better than lowering its stance. nothing.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
that's a really good idea.....

yay for manipulation! :D

but the downside to that is because of the new baby, money is more important (insurance, diapers, etc.)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Last night, my father-in-law looked right at me and said ...

"So, you gonna drop an 8-cyl in there?"

Now that's a mod.
Haha, w8 swap!
Methinks that'd cost more than a w8 :p
Do the suspension.
Many people do it up in the north and seem fine. You don't need to do an agressive drop. And if you're really worried, make the al bash guard part of your mod.

·
Registered
282 Posts
First off, congrats! It's a big change to have a little one around but it's well worth it. I say that now, but just wait until mine are tennagers ... my tune may change :D.

Go for a nice recaro babyseat - she'll love you long time and you get to transport the new arrival in style/safety.

Failing that, chrome rails would look good but I agree, flames would kick ass
The Recaro seat is a great idea but I would wait until Ava is 1 yr and can be forward facing. You can then get a seat something like this ...

http://autosportmotoring.safeshopper.com/57/66.htm?435

and use it for a long time. Excellent seats. I've got one in both cars for our 3 yo.

I like the suspension idea, but understand the concern up in your neck of the woods. I haven't seen pic of your car but here are a couple ideas, body kit, painting the lowers, FMIC, a couple more gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, volt meter, etc.), portable GPS Nav like the nuvi or something.

Cheers,
Karl

1 - 20 of 76 Posts