Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I saw a thread by vwwagondriver and wanted to add that with membership to Costco- you get free nitrogen in your tires. You can also take a buddy with you that has a Costco card and they will still fill you up. Did this today in Jville, Fla-- i pulled to the front, they let down the air and filled me right back up with nitro--smoother ride and now i dont have to sweat a blow-out.. just an FYI~

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yea...:biglaugh: i just have some 18 kuhmos that i bought from pep boys~ You only need a membership card or a freind that can go with you with a membership card.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
nitro?? i never heard of this...how does it prevent a blow out? i am guessing bcuz it does not compress like oxg.. and i know nitro is lighter so that will help a few things... but wow i never heard that u could put it in tires... :D i wish i knew this when i had my go-karts..

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
mrclumsysgv said:
nitro?? i never heard of this...how does it prevent a blow out? i am guessing bcuz it does not compress like oxg.. and i know nitro is lighter so that will help a few things... but wow i never heard that u could put it in tires... :D i wish i knew this when i had my go-karts..
http://www.branick.com/

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
mrclumsysgv said:
i am guessing bcuz it does not compress like oxg.. and i know nitro is lighter so that will help a few things...
Um... all gasses are compressible (remember PV=nRT from physics class?). The molecular weight difference is negligible, too (like 0.001% change in total tire weight -- the rim and tire are the other 99.999% of the weight).

Tires are permeable... gas leaks *through* the rubber over time. The only advantage is that nitrogen seems to leak much more slowly than oxygen: you can go longer between reinflations.

The "less danger in an accident" claim is a far-fetched solution to a non-existant problem.

But hey, if it's free... :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pete1 said:
Um... all gasses are compressible (remember PV=nRT from physics class?). The molecular weight difference is negligible, too (like 0.001% change in total tire weight -- the rim and tire are the other 99.999% of the weight).

Tires are permeable... gas leaks *through* the rubber over time. The only advantage is that nitrogen seems to leak much more slowly than oxygen: you can go longer between reinflations.

The "less danger in an accident" claim is a far-fetched solution to a non-existant problem.

But hey, if it's free... :)
:crazy: Weird Science!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Supposedly Nitrogen molecules are larger than Oxygen molecules. And besides, air leaking past valve stems and bead to rim interface must be thousands of times greater than THROUGH the rubber.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Well if anyone cares, the air that you use to fill your tires is atmospheric air that is merely pressurized. It contains 70% nitrogen, but also oxygen, carbon dioxide and many other molecules. This compression also does nothing to reduce moisture. Nitrogen gas as you are finding it at costco ideally would not contain this level of moisture. Now molecular nitrogen is a larger molecule than water, so the water component (in a humid state like mine you can see a spray of water every time the air nozzle is engaged) of the air you spray into the tires is more readily able to permeate the porous rubber than the larger nitrogen molecule. This is especially true when the tire is heated in use and the partial pressure of water vapor in the tire increases. Of course I could be smoking rocks...

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
They should be filling them with Xenon then... just like expensive tennis balls. Perfectly inert and a molecule as big as your head (relatively speaking).

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
:D I saw a thread by vwwagondriver and wanted to add that with membership to Costco- you get free nitrogen in your tires. You can also take a buddy with you that has a Costco card and they will still fill you up. Did this today in Jville, Fla-- i pulled to the front, they let down the air and filled me right back up with nitro--smoother ride and now i dont have to sweat a blow-out.. just an FYI~
unless they replaced your tires with run flat tires ,you still can have situations,and i havnt seen tires blow out since tubes were in tires,unless you count the underinflated/cord failing firestones!!!!!!!!!! in my 37 years of driving i have never expeienced a blowout or even know of someone who has.dont sweat it too much

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I had a blowout two years ago on I95 in the left lane at night doing 80MPH. Luckily it was a rear tire, so controlling the car was not much of an issue. The side wall blew out of my Michelin Pilot 225/45/17 MXM4 (I beleive that was the model) and they only had about 20K on them

·
Registered
530 Posts
We don't have costco in Louisiana, but they were kick ass when i lived in WA state. As for tire pressure sensors, you sneeze and those f*ckers act up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts