Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whithout getting into a long story, I have essentially been offered my Uncle's old late ~80's 240sx. It has been probably 10years since I sat in this car so I don't remember to much about it. I know it is red & notchback and has power shoulder belts.

Things I don't know :
- Current condition (I think it is probably in pretty good condition but not sure if it has any mechanical problems)
- Auto or Manual (don't remember)
- Mileage (I think it is probably very low)

Currently I don't have a car. I'm sharing my girlfriends car and taking public transit. I'm doing this to save money. Which is going great. However, I may be looking at working at a place that would require me to commute and I may need to purchase a car to do that. This is not settled yet though.

Basically, this car (the 240sx) would be given to me for free. So my costs would be insurance and maintenance.

My questions to all of you are the following:
- I lost my issue of GRM that had the review of the 240sx. I wish I hadn't because I didn't read the article close enough to remember much. Anybody remember what their main points were?

- Does this car have an airbag? (or, what year did they start putting airbags in them)

- Any known problems with them that I should have checked out?

- Would this work as an okay commuter car?

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Loved that car.

Without saying anything else about it, let's see.

Senario 1:
Free car. Runs good. Insure it. Drive it... good deal.

Senario 2:

Free car. Doesn't run. $25 ad to sell it. Get $100. Buy uncle dinner and drinks... good deal. :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You're prob can get way more than $100 for a 240sx! It's a nice car with plenty of potential, especially if it has stick. If it is a prob, I'm sure a lot of Nissan enthusiasts would be glad to pick it up as a project or something. The only prob I could think of, are that insurance rates can be higher than average. But hey, it's a free car and it sure beats riding in someone else's!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would take it, especially since you don’t have a car. I used to have a 1995 240sx and loved the car… the biggest down fall was insurance. For a 4cyl car the insurance was insane but that was full coverage. There is plenty potential for it so go for it. Just remove the intake snorkel and it sounds great. I’m pretty sure it does not come with airbags.

Probably looks like this

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I have the issue of GRM. :)

My friend was actually featured in that article. He won the SM class in the NER region of SCCA with his KA24DE w/ his custom turbo. You want me to dig it up? I'm on the hunt for an S13 240SX as well....its just coming across the right one, where I won't have to do a lot of work on it...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey, it's Free!!!!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I have a 1989 240 as my daily car. While you and I may be different people, I would get it! If it is not going to be able to be driven, and has a decent body, you can get good cash out of it to buy soemthing else.......
What I am saying is basicly there is a big demand for the 240 body for "drifting".
Somebody will snatch that up for $800 if the body is in decent condition.
Then take that $800 put that towards a nice used Honda CRX to drive around.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being the notchback makes it a little more rare I would think. I usually see the hatchbacks around.

Still I haven't gotten more info on the car yet. I'll be a little turned off if it doesn't have an airbag. And the higher insurance rates won't be that fun.

But you guys are right... free is free. We'll see how it plays out.

Anyone have any thoughts on things I should get checked out?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thumber said:
Hey on the bright side, if it's free..you caould always part it out and make a little mod money on the side... :roll:
Dude... I don't have a car right now. What am I gonna mod.... my bus pass?

(frankly though, it is pretty nice not needing a car. I can use my girlfriends when I need to and I don't have to worry about oil changes, repairs, getting gass, and most importantly writting big checks for car loan and insurance)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Who cares if it has an airbag? It's not scientifically proven that they do protect you in a collision anyhow, but it is proven that they frequently cause injuries.

When you get the DMV handbook saying "airbags save XXXX # of lives a year", they don't even mention how they arrived at that conclusion. I.e. what experiment did they perform? What statistics/corralative studies did they use? Then again, how could you prove that the airbag did indeed save a life in any accident.

If a person had an auto accident, the airbag went off, and the person did not die, is it really logical to conclude that it had been the airbag that had been the only reason the person survived? How can you rule out other factors (seatbelt, rigid car shell, etc), or know for sure the given accident would have not been fatal regardless, even if the passenger had no airbags, or seatbelts?

I always get my airbags removed (and inform my insurance agent about them). My insurance went up like $10-$20 a yr as a result. I've been in 6 accidents in the past 4 yrs or so. Sometimes others were driving. The only time I got injured was when a airbag cut me in the face.

Man, I really can't beleive you're now whining about the reason not to get a FREE car from such a generous uncle, because it probably has no airbags. Perhaps you're uncle should give it to someone else who might be more grateful.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not whining... just wondering if I should just sell the car and get something that might be considered more safe. As you suggested "safe" is open to interpretation here. But like you said, it has not be proven one way or another about airbags. So, in the meantime I'll probably stay in the airbag camp. However, I may decide that I'm better off with this car anyways (if it is in decent condition). Maybe I'll just get a more protective seatbelt system or something.

Anybody know of the typical mechanical problems the 240sx has?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Buy it fix it up a bit...sell it to some punk kid for profit and move on. But if you can afford to do a swap...then you can have real fun with it..

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Get a roll cage, harness, and SA2000 helmet and you'll be nice and safe. :) Fill the gap between the doors and the NASCAR bars w/ foam too, so you can minimize impact shock. :p

Check 240sx.org and zilvia.net for some good info. I don't have any input, because I just got the car. :p

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
yeah i think it's perfectly reasonable to be concerned about a car's safety, but you really ought to check out the crash test ratings on the vehicle as well. I just really can't see that if someone was wearing their seatbelt (and the seatbelt wasn't extremely worn out that it would rip off in an accident), how much good the airbags would do, if much at all. I mean, if you're strapped in good, you won't fly through the windsheild or slam on the dash. But anyhow, car safety is important whichever way you look at it.

STEALTH- There was this thread on the h-t race forum a while back about whther or not a cage (even w/ padding) is good for all conditions. Seems like the consensus was that while it was good for the track, for a street driven vehicle, it was only safer if the driver wore a helmut. If not, the bars could be more of a hazard. I think roll bars are good though for rollovers.

Speaking of which (sorry to get off topic), I really want to get a welded chromoly cage for my race car. Damn things cost a fortune! I think they cost around $1500-$2000 and need like a 2-3 week turnaround time; www.steenchassis.com May just end up getting a cheap autopower bolt-on setup .

·
Registered
387 Posts
HalfGreek said:
I'm not whining... just wondering if I should just sell the car and get something that might be considered more safe. As you suggested "safe" is open to interpretation here. But like you said, it has not be proven one way or another about airbags. So, in the meantime I'll probably stay in the airbag camp. However, I may decide that I'm better off with this car anyways (if it is in decent condition). Maybe I'll just get a more protective seatbelt system or something.

Anybody know of the typical mechanical problems the 240sx has?
'

I have 3 cars with airbags at home.. but yet I chose to drive my car without an airbag (Mk2 GTI)...

Call me stupid or an enthusiast hehe..

Anyways.. on the 240sx. The only real problems on those cars is the timing chain tensioner and guides if its a KA24DE (dohc) when they start to get up in mileage you can hear them rattle a bit.. the KA24E (sohc) motor is a pretty durable motor overall.
If you choose to drive this car very hard, I would probably take time with the shifts because on powershifting/speedshifting, these trannies will bend the selector forks.

Honestly a 240sx whether a S13 or S14.. is going to be a very reliable car all around as long as the previous owner and you take good care of it.

The most reliably rated car in the world can be the world's biggest piece of junk without proper care.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts