Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a DVD-rom from a system pull in good shape, but i don't have the software needed to play a DVD...

i believe that i need a player and a software decoder. 20 minutes on google didn't find what i needed, and thought i'd ask the collective good on B5...

freeware is what i'm after, because i won't be using it much...

---todd

oh, yeah... for W2k please.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
dvdrhelp.com is your guide..

but be warned - technically, there is NO freeware dvd decoder. the mpaa 'police' have seen to that ;(

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, linux.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
and as a very very last resort, you could boot a bootable linux cdrom (if you have 2 drives; a cdrom and dvdrom) and then once inside linux, you could run 'mplayer' which I think does play dvd's.

powerdvd is one player that people like, sw-wise.

dvd decrypter will take the .vobs off and then even media player (I think) will play unencrypted .vob files.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i actually have a linux box (i'm getting my feet wet), but the DVD is a w2k machine...

i think i may have found what i needed on that site.

i'll get a DVD and try it out...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
waGner - did you have to install any MPEG 2 codecs also, or did it work right after the install...?

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Another vote for VideoLan.

I've installed it on both Linux and Windows and it worked right out of the box (didn't need any additional codecs). Who knows though, I might have already had codecs installed from something else (at the time I was trying out lots of different programs).

Interestingly enough I couldn't get it to work on my Linux based PDA (but mplayer did work on it so I didn't care.)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
fl4ian said:
waGner - did you have to install any MPEG 2 codecs also, or did it work right after the install...?
JimDog said:
Another vote for VideoLan.

I've installed it on both Linux and Windows and it worked right out of the box (didn't need any additional codecs). Who knows though, I might have already had codecs installed from something else (at the time I was trying out lots of different programs).
What he said. I didn't have to install any codecs either. :thumbup:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've tried about a dozen things that should've worked, including VideoLAN, and the demos for PowerDVD and WinDVD... i think i have a bad drive...

it's a Samsung DVD SD-608, and i've read waaaaaaay too much in that last day or so about how they are POS's and extraodinarily high failure rates...

so, thanks for the help, guys. it looks like i'm going to have to wait for another DVD drive to come my way first...

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
and, if you DO you a new dvd drive, ensure it does come with powerdvd ;0

mine did - I got a $50 cdrw/dvd-rom combo and it came with powerdvd and a lic. key.

kill 2 birds at once.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm liking that... i love me some lite-on, and i love me some new-egg too...

maybe there is a DVD in my near future...

??... :thumbup:

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
linux-works said:
and, if you DO you a new dvd drive, ensure it does come with powerdvd ;0

mine did - I got a $50 cdrw/dvd-rom combo and it came with powerdvd and a lic. key.

kill 2 birds at once.
Ahhhh.....well you should have said that first :D I have an HP Pavilion that came with a Samsung DVD player and it stopped reading DVDs after about a year.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually jim, this came out of a pavilion too!! POS...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts