Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my girlfriend is walking to her car which is parked right behind mine in my driveway, and as she's getting in, an iceberg sized chunk of ice fell off of the neighbor's roof and landed RIGHT ON MY CAR!!! :nervous: . I swear there's like five grand worth of damage. The is mostly landed on the passenger a-pillar, hood and front fender. Possibly damage to my Eibach suspension since my girlfriend said the rear driver's side wheel without exxageration, came off the ground when the ice hit the front passenger side. :mad: Anyway, I filed a police report and my insurance broker should call me back tomorrow ASAP as of course this happened to my car a 5:04pm right after they close for the day. I assume my neighbor's homeowner's insurance will pay for it, if not my car insurance should. Just wanted to rant a little...

Anyway, does anyone know of a really good body shop within a reasonable distance from Rochester, NY? The dealership wanted $520 to fix 3 small dents in my trunklid, they'll probably want a rediculous sum for this... plus I wanted to throw in my trunk dents which I never got fixed and a couple of scratches that could use some touching up. I figure a smaller place might throw that stuff in for a couple of hundred, whereas the dealer will probably want me to make a seperate appointment for the trunk.

Here are some pictures of the damage:

Front end was clean. Dirt must be from slamming into the ground?:

Here's the house the ice fell from:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Man, if the car was on that spot it seams like you asked for it. WTF is on the street? grandson of Titanic's Iceberg or what. :???: :eek:

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
That may be covered by your neighbors homeowners insurance. It will not
be cheap. Search for Passatdream's writeup on his repair to get an idea. I am
pretty sure he posted his repair costs.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
HOLY ICEBURG THAT SUNG THE TITANIC BATMAN!

Those are some huge ice blocks! :shock:

I have no advice other than build an igloo with all that debris, so that wont happen again, and when it melts soon, you'll have a clean(er) car! :wink:

Good luck with the insureance bro!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
This happened in my neighborhood too .. ice feel off the roof .. hit a snow pile and fliped and hit a car .. The owner of the house the ice fell off his insurance paid.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nenad said:
Man, if the car was on that spot it seams like you asked for it. WTF is on the street? grandson of Titanic's Iceberg or what. :???: :eek:
That's not a street, it's my driveway! I don't really see how I asked for it by parking in my own driveway. :???: That definitly is a huge piece of ice though.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Too bad it was your car but then again it could've been you or someone else and that person should be in the morgue by now. That is so dangerous.

Good luck in getting it fixed. More than likely it is covered by homeowners policy.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Sorry about your car bro, always a bummer for sure , but let's feel happy that it was not your Girlfriend or someone else walking by your car when it happened :( . The dammage on the car will be fixed at least, sorry and good luck with it mate.

On a funny note, you know you will be looking up when you come out of your house in winter :lol: :poke: ............. :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
133 Posts
hwmike said:
passatdream said:
SO Sorry about the car. Its like a reduced version of what happened to my car:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68149&highlight=

Well wishes!
Chris.
Hey, Chris, did you ever get your car back? How is it? We want to know! 8)
hwmike! Thanks for asking. Yea. I got the car back and other than a few little things, the car is just like brand new. Still smells new and drives like new. I'm so glad to have it back! I'm still working with the dealer and body shop to fix a few things. I'm gonna take some pictures this weekend after I get it all cleaned up and picture perfect!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Holy crap, as much of a loss the damage on your car will be, BE CAREFUL, I shiver at the thought of what could happen had a person been standing underneath that iceberg. :nervous:

-alex

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just curious from those of us out here in the west, what do you do when ice builds up like that on the roof? Do you do just that and let it fall when it falls or is there some kind of roof heating system to get it down?

Sorry to hear about the car. I'd be in trouble if I had to deal with ice and snow. At least everyone's okay. :thumbup:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1BadWGN said:
Just curious from those of us out here in the west, what do you do when ice builds up like that on the roof? Do you do just that and let it fall when it falls or is there some kind of roof heating system to get it down?

Sorry to hear about the car. I'd be in trouble if I had to deal with ice and snow. At least everyone's okay. :thumbup:
Unfortunately it seems as though this is a regular occurance during the spring. I've never heard of a roof heating system, sounds like a good idea if it doesn't exist already. The house around here are about 70+ years old so they definitly don't have any type of ice removal system.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts