Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my underbody rattle problem. I got the car on ramps and started shaking things and noticed that the right cat (V6) was rattling.

Then I started it up and used "grandpa's automotive stethoscope" (a long vacuum hose from a shop vac with an angled piece at the end) to listen to different parts of the underbody while it was running. The right cat is definitely the source of the noise.

So it looks like my catalyst is shaking loose at 3 years, 19000 miles. I am going to the dealer on monday to have them look at it. I know it should be covered under the emissions warranty, but I would be surprised if they don't give me a hard time.

How serious is this, and what should I do? Upgrading exhaust might be an option if I hadn't just dropped $3800 on a supercharger :lol:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If they give you new one under warranty, of course take it. Upgrading exhaust have nothing with cats anyway. Also check engine, to be sure that cat did not die because of some other malfunction.

Nice to find out who was "Alien" in EvoMS affaire, managed by me.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Is some baffle or something inside the cat really rattling or is it just a loose exhaust heat shield or somethin'? Heat shields are what usually rattle, and the easiest solution is to just tear them off entirely.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Glad to hear you found the rattle! :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts