Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For probably 6 months, I've had an increasing issue with oil dripping from somewhere above the oil filter. Initially, I thought it was the Fram Filter I was using (yea, that was stupid.) I put a Purlator filter in it's place and did check for any stuck gasket on the oil filter flange of the cooler sandwich but nothing to report. Well, I kept getting the dripping. I had no time to really look into until today. I had bought an O-ring for the sandwich and was also advised on the large nut that holds the sandwich plate to the oil filter mount. Well, the nut's on pretty darn tight so that wasn't it. However, upon inspection I noted a beige looking boot and when I pulled it back, some oil came pouring out! The boot covers the oil pressure sensor. I removed the sensor; it does have a crush washer but wasn't sure that was it; you see, on the jack stands, the car is tilted and this sensor was near level in the horizontal direction. This means with both fronts down on the ground, this sensor actually points up a bit. So how does oil get into the boot when gravity dictates it should be dripping from below where the cruch washer is?

So I had about 30-40psi of pressure in my air compressor and fitted the rubber tip nozzle. I used a lot of carb cleaner to clean up the entire sensor. Then keeping the sensor pointing up, I shot some air up the "oil" side of the sensor hole and guess what? I get oil comming out of the spade connector to the electrical connection! A typical pump puts out around 44-65psi at 2000RPM according to the Bentley manual and about 30psi at idle (900rpm). And for those that wanted to know, the idiot light goes on between 17.5psi - 26.0psi during diagnostics testing. So basically, it will go on below 26psi.

I now see how I was able to loose about a quart of oil every 3 weeks.

Have to now go to VW and hope they have one.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Interesting. Mine did the same thing about 50K miles ago!

Oil leaks are really the only things that have plagued my car.

1) Cam seals (warranty)
2) dipstick holder
3) OEM pressure sender (like your problem)
4) aftermarket pressure sender
5) wrong type of oil union for aftermarket oil cooler
6) correct type of oil union not torqued properly

and a couple of others that I have forgotten. All simple, really, but it takes weeks of leaving little drops here and there before you finally discover what's leaking...

·
Registered
662 Posts
HermanH, thanks for the post. I too have been chasing a slow oil leak for a while and didn't even think about this sender. I was looking right at it last night when I was trying to find out where this oil was coming from!

At least I replaced most of my PCV valves. :D

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
Pulling the sender sounds like a great opportunity to install a t-fitting and a proper oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
silberwagen: sorry, no pics. Sender's in the trash now.
I ran the engine for 10 min. and no leaking to be found. It seemed to take hours to clean up the oily mess down there. Since I had to replace the belly pan and both front fender liners, I didn't have to clean those up.

I did find a couple of drops of "black" oil so I'm guessing heat is causing some residual mess that I couldn't get to, drip down the motor. I'll be watching for the next few days to see what happens.

I did note my lower tie bar was loose so I tightened it up but forgot my exhuast was still hot and burned off some skin on my forearm ^[email protected]%[email protected]%[email protected]

While I was venting a bit, I decided to replace both left and right windshield strips. These things simply clip into place so removing them is not a big deal; about 1/3 of the top of each side crumbled away as I was removing them ( a few inches had already crumbled off which led me to this point). Quick and easy to do.

JohnE: yes, that would have been the time to do one if I was inclined to install another gauge but it's not in the cards for this car.

Now that I've taken care of a few items below, I'll be tackling a few other things I've been meaning to get to; both are sun-roof related. The potnentiometer (hopefully will get rid of the self-motivated roof), and some lubricant for all the moving parts. It's gotten so bad I can't get more than 4" of open sun-roof.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Herman,

This happened to me when I had my 78 Rabbit. Oil came right through the sender. (I added an oil pressure gauge, thus the sender) I guess the heat and pressure just destroyed it.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update: I guess I found it because I took the car to work today ( 10 miles); romped just a bit and when I parked, I checked the sensor, still dry, and the belly pan is still dry as well. :) Now I don't have to "smell" the oil in the cabin anymore. On hot days it was pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
:lol: It aint a VW unless you can smell the oil burning.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
jeesh, another stinkin place to smell oil from. i guess i'll check mine, as i'm at 95k and there's a fine chance i'm leaky too.

i'll have to look this up in the bentley and see if i can find it on the car. thanks. :)

edit: got any part number for the sensor and the windshield strips? i def need those dumb strips replaced

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are you talking about this part?

If not could you please give me a picture or just a P/N ?? Sorry, poor English here, couldn´t follow your text very well specially because of all that tech terms.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
$7? That has to be one of the cheapest fixes for a Passat that I have ever heard of.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
:lol: It aint a VW unless you can smell the oil burning.
I was in the dealer, and a women comes in and say it smells like burning oil and there is a light on the dash. I responded with the above, and the addition of you mean the dash inst suppose to look like a Christmas tree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts