Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my wife's 2002 Variant w/automatic tranny and found a new feature. I was trying to see if a small vibration that I was feeling was coming from my rotors, so I lightly pressed my foot on the break while accelerating. Lo and behold, the motor dropped to idle. Apparently there is a safety feature that does not allow for the accelerator and brake to be depressed at the same time.

I am not sure if this is the same on my manual sedan. I will check next time I drive it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This should be called the Aging Foot Actuator and be required standard equipment in all cars. This way people can't two foot drive with their foot hovering on the brake, and hence having the brake light on constantly.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Oh yeah I remember the old Audi 5000 problems! Our family had one when they came out back in the day... What was it that turned out to be the problem? I remember hearing that the brake pedal was just too small and too close to the gas.

·
Registered
322 Posts
They moved the pedels a bit I think and installed a interlock on the gearshift (must have the brake depressed before shifting out of park) But it was nothing "wrong" with the car, the drivers were the problem.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
with the DBW system and tip atleast you cannt use the brake and the gas at the same time, i was told that the brake light switch controls this and makes this happen

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
NoneRock said:
This does not happen with the manual transmission.
Yes it did. Happened to me once. I was on the Parkway doing 65 (and I was in the slow lane) and someone was riding closely behind me. So I put my left foot on the brake just enough so that my brake lights would go on without slowing me down, but I still had my foot on the accelerator. Suddenly throttle dropped as if I took my foot off the accelerator.

Which made me wonder then how this would affect heel and toeing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
NoneRock
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing