Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

After retiring my '02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, I was able to pick up a '05.5 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro back in June. As it turned out, this new A4 had a number of engine and tranny issues. Long story short over the weekend the dealer could not repair the A4 so we got our $ back and our '06 Passat 2.0T will be delivered in a day or so.

As an A4 driver since late 2001 I had some reservations about switching over to VW, but a new arrival in our family (our first child!) made us realize that the larger cabin size would come in handy! Test driving the Passat set my mind at ease, in fact I noticed many parts that are used on the A4, including window buttons, cruise control stick, MFD (similar), etc. The Passat felt like an Audi, and I can honestly say I only have a few parts of the car that challenge the build quality. The A6 was out of our price range, but the Passat fit right in.. :)

Reflex Silver, 17" wheels, Package #2, Nav, splash guards & winter mats

Right now I have a loaner Passat from the dealer (state restrictions w/taxes force the dealer to deliver the car to me, so we left the A4 at the dealer and have the loaner until our car arrives)... we've had a good time testing the passat, and here are a list of things that i have questions on, as well as some things I will miss..

1. Fog Lights - Silly that the 2.0T doesn't have this, but no worries, I'll install the OEM kit from TNT...
2. Rear Fog - anyone know who sells this? Any OEM kits? We are a safety concious family.
3. Safety Triangle - will have to add this, Audi's dropping these from the cars too.. :(
4. Seats - constantly adjusting, hopefully i will find a comfy zone, if not possibly order the sport seats and replace them. Idea on part #s for the sport seats?
5. Ipod - Since I have Nav and steering wheel controls, will the OEM VW Ipod connector allow the steering wheel to control the ipod? understood the text of the song is not displayed
6. Blue Dash Lights- We had a Jetta about 6 years ago w/the blue dash, didn't bother me.. but now i'm a bit older the blue may annoy my eyes. Any aftermarket gauge color kits? I'd like to go all red/white like the A4.
7. Quattro on the A4 - will miss it greatly, and while we live in New England and see plenty of snow, we have an '02 Audi Allroad, that is our snow beast!

Thanks in advance to any tips/ideas on the above questions/comments...

Wnt2Fly!

·
Registered
421 Posts
welcome once again to the VW family... you'll love ur B6!!

1. Fog Lights - OEMpl.us http://www.oempl.us/
2. Rear Fog - OEMpl.us
3. Safety Triangle - OEMpl.us
4. Seats - Too much $ to make it worth it, I dont know part #'s yet.
5. Ipod - no idea, im not an ipod guy
6. Blue Dash Lights- Not yet, and maybe not ever, you can always open up the gauge cluster and change the LED's urself.
7. Quattro on the A4 - =*( no quattro for us...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links.. any ideas on B6 spoilers yet? Other than the Caractere one? Seems to be expensive, I had a spoiler from spoilerdepot.com on my A4, was around $250 painted...

Wnt2Fly!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

If you read AA's post, the first one sticky'ed, it shows off the votex kit, and they make a rear spoiler. Not a fan of spoilers in general, but this one is pretty low.

Not sure if you're missing the manual tranny, but very soon, (some have seen the 07's already), the 2.0T will be available with the 6MT, fog lights, HID's, Automatic climate control, sport seats, and 18" wheels. Which makes the new Passat VERY appealing to me. Something to think about if you can hold off for a little longer...

Congrats though. Everytime I see a B6 Passat, I can feel the lust growing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chrisyoon said:
Not sure if you're missing the manual tranny, but very soon, (some have seen the 07's already), the 2.0T will be available with the 6MT, fog lights, HID's, Automatic climate control, sport seats, and 18" wheels. Which makes the new Passat VERY appealing to me. Something to think about if you can hold off for a little longer...

Ahhhh!! nooooo... oh well.. because I had to return the 05.5 A4 to the dealer on the spot (looong story), I couldn't hold out any more as they were giving me 97% of my purchase price back because of the issues I had w/the CPO'd A4.

The AT is fine, I have a child now so it comes in handy.. Fog lights I'll had.. HID's, well we have them on the all road.. Auto climate control, nice deal, but I can manager.. Sport Seats - THATS what i'd like.. :)

-t

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
B64MO said:
May want to cross shop http://dynamicmotorworks.com/ for your OEM and Euro parts needs. They're cheaper than the other guy and located in NY state so you'll save on shipping. Give Drew a call and tell her Domenick in Atlanta sent you....;)
I didn't see a lot of Passat stuff on the site, I assume he can get them?

-t

·
Registered
2 Posts
iPod - Steering Wheel Controls

Hi from the Uk - another ex A4 owner who struggled with the lack of space combined with a growing family.

I had the VW iPod adapter fitted in June; it does work with the multi function wheel - track forward, etc. Not having the track names is no great problem once you get the hang of using playlists. My advice - go for it!!

Overall I would agree that the build quality is up there with Audi - I do think that in the UK the B6 is better value - think of it as an Audi A5!!

I have the Sport seats and ovrall do not find them that comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts