Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm currently in posession of a new forge FMDV007P and I have also just received a Dawes hybrid boost controller.

I currently have a 00 1.8T, and I have looked around the forums, and I have also looked at a few very good sites regarding installing the forge, and I am still mildly confused! :weirdo:

I have a few questions that I am trying to figure out, and I'm sure that they will hopefully evoke a few snorts of laughter, and a response or two :D

Fisrtly, is the forge a snap in replacement for the n75?

Secondly, if it is, from what I have seen, there appears to be a sensor of some sort on the N75, which isnt on the forge. Will it cause an ECU error if I replace the n75 with the forge? I have VAG-COM, so its not a major problem hopefully, but I like to think these things are best avoided.

Thirdly, I have read a few install notes on the forge, but for various reasons, I cant really get under the car (previous owner was addicted to self tapping screws to hold up the engine under cover). From what I see it is possible to do an install if you take off the air box. Has anyone tried this?

Finally, has anyone any pictures/experiences of instlaling the Dawes, and where would you reccomend? from my reading, between the turbo and the divertor valve seems to be the best, smoothest option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

t.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
The Forge is a Diverter Valve (DV), not a boost control valve. The N75 is your OEM boost control valve. So the Forge does not replace the N75 - it replaces the DV. Wish I had a link to a picture...

The DV is down on the large, bottom hose that connects the turbo outlet to the crossover pipe under the car, and the Forge is indeed a "snap-in" replacement. However, you will have to take that belly pan off to get to it. And expect to fight getting one-use clamps off, and have some good hose clamps to replace them. You should strongly consider replacing the DV's vacuum actuator line (and all your other vacuum lines) with silicone lines (Hose Techniques), as these lines are prone to fail under the high heat generated by the turbo.

The N75 is on top of the intake hose that goes from the airbox outlet to the turbo inlet. It has an electrical connector and two "vacuum" (actually boost) lines - the path of these boost lines is

turbo nipple -> N75 -> wastegate.

I have a Dawes MBC (Mechanical Boost Controller) - here's one link to how I installed it:

http://clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28905

I have a lot more info on MBC's - just click my "website" button and follow some of the links there. Be careful with the MBC - you can run out of fuel quick and cause bad things to happen to your engine.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I've been running my Dawes MBC for over a year now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorting myself out

Hi

to post a reply to myself, the Forge does not of course replace the n75! It replaces the Recirculator Valve (in VW Speak), which is nice and accessable from the engine compartment (at least on an APU engine)

The Dawes MBC goes inline between the turbo and the N75. The only question I have remaining is does anyone know what the diameter of the hoses on the n75 are (internal and external?

Thanks,

T

PS: I think I will change my sgnature to
"Of course you always make an arse of yourself on your fist post..." :D

PS2:
"Of course you will probably also make an arse of yourself with your second post too.,..."

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
The N75 hoses are very thick, high-quality silicone (they did something right!). IIRC the outside diameter is about 8-10 mm, and the inside diameter is maybe 4 mm? The N75 ends are bigger than the turbo nipple and wastegate ends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts