Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will not stop (as stated in title.)
(seems fitting for anything auto, considering it doesn't belong elsewhere :p)

it's a 2k1 ford taurus SE that's obviousily been run into the dirt. (previous owner)

and after the short time she's had it... nothing but hell. to say the least.

so the issue i'm stuck on now, is the first cylinder is misfireing very frequently now, we've run a correct doseage (as per xyro's advice) of STP fuel system cleaner through the car, cleared the CEL and about 2 or 3 days later * BLINK BLINK BLINK*

argh.
what should i do?
she just messaged me about it firing off again.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the filters are all brand spankin new.
she did those herself with her dad.

i was kinda thinking it would be the plugs, bt first, i wanted to test the wires.
any way to?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I had the same problem with my camry a couple years ago. 1989 with 180k or so. It had been god knows how long since that stuff was changed. Fuel filter made no difference, but plugs, wires and distributer cap took care of it.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Swap cylinder #1 plug and wire with another cylinder. If the misfire moves, it's one of those. If the misfire doesn't move, it's the injector. If a concentrated injector cleaning doesn't work - directly into the fuel rail type, not a bottle into the fuel tank, replace it.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Swap cylinder #1 plug and wire with another cylinder. If the misfire moves, it's one of those. If the misfire doesn't move, it's the injector. If a concentrated injector cleaning doesn't work - directly into the fuel rail type, not a bottle into the fuel tank, replace it.
That's what I'd do. Check the plug wires and see what happens. You can try injector cleaner again but if that doesn't do it, you may have to pull the injector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts