Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to go try and drive an 03 Focus SVT 4-dr today. Some dealers close to where I work have a bunch of leftovers.

I'd like to replace the ageing but still-fun-to-drive Passat (99 with 113k) with something less expensive than a new VW. I think VW can't keep me in the family with their current cars. Money isn't the issue, I could step into an Audi if I wanted to. Recently, my dad backed into my car and did what I estimate to be approx $1000 in damage (right headlight pushed in, bumper destroyed, etc) and I don't want to deal with it via insurance.

Given that the car still runs like a champ, better than the day I bought it, I'm in a position to hold tight if I don't get the right deal.

I'm hoping to get a loaded 03 4-dr (MSRP around $21500) out the door for somewhere in the $11000 range (after rebates, hammering them on the price and my trade).

I have looked around but can't think of a car that offers as much content for anywhere close to this price. And added kudos for the money going to an american company (even though they are assembled in Mexico).

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I had a '01 3door focus for two years.
nice car. smaller than Passat, but if you can life with it go for it.
We had the AT with 2.0 DOHC engine that was pretty zippy with a good MGP.
I had to go to dealership twice with O2 sensor (once at 5k miles and at 25k miles) but covered under warranty. Now bro-in-law is driving ht ecar now and he just had wheen bearing replaced at 32k miles. Other than this pretty nice car. I enjoyed diving it.
The one thing I did not like was that the air filter was getting dirty to fast/to often.

enjoy :)

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I would drive the passat to the ground.....save the money you would pay for the new car....and eventually get something you really want!

But I think for that price....it doesnt get much better.

Do you think you will like this car at the milage your Passat is at....cause if not then you will end up not liking it....trading it.....and in the end you will lose more money.

Good luck!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't want to fix some impending things that the passat may need. something is amiss in the suspension (shocks blown maybe? they're bilstein HDs too...bummer) and the fan sometimes makes some ugly noises.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Medrosje said:
i don't want to fix some impending things that the passat may need. something is amiss in the suspension (shocks blown maybe? they're bilstein HDs too...bummer) and the fan sometimes makes some ugly noises.
Yeah but I have to say, I agree with passaturbonium. Also, is it going to be $11k worth of impending things? I would drive that Passat into the ground too, as good a deal as you would possibly be getting, it's still $11k you could keep.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Sullie said:
Medrosje said:
Yeah but I have to say, I agree with passaturbonium. Also, is it going to be $11k worth of impending things? I would drive that Passat into the ground too, as good a deal as you would possibly be getting, it's still $11k you could keep.
And I guarantee you Focus wont give you the same satisfaction, reliability, design, materials,fun, uniquenes as your Passat......

BTW, your Bilsteins are lifetime warranty :wink:

Dont worry about the little things......you have those things even with new cars.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Did you ever consider Mazda 3? For the same MSRP you could get a loaded 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan (2.3L 160hp) with sport package, xenons, leather & navi. That's what I would probably choose but that's just me. :)
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
waGner said:
Did you ever consider Mazda 3? For the same MSRP you could get a loaded 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan (2.3L 160hp) with sport package, xenons, leather & navi. That's what I would probably choose but that's just me. :)
Good luck with your choice.
i ain't paying anwhere close to msrp. i did look at the new 3 and highly doubt i could get a 3 with similar options to the SVT for a similar price. remember, the svt's from 03 carry 3500 back from ford.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
You should just get a $1000 beater.....drive it daily.

Keep your Passat as a weekend...fun car....

And save your money.

I know you drive alot, and when you rack up miles....last thing you want to do is buy a new car. You will end up losing money.

But whatever your decision....its all good!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
honest...Focus= S**t box!!! VERY cheap car. I almost bought one for a daily driver but it's SOOOOOOOOO cheap. I'd rather have a 5 yr old B5 than a focus. I've owned Ford products and they are all cheaply built. You get what you pay for. BTW-the SVT line is no longer. They are quiting that....

The only ford to get would be the Cossies...but we don't live in the UK...

get what we just got...enjoy my pics!! :poke: if money is no cost. This car is amazing and the power and sound is.... :thumbup:

Darin

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
without haggling, the dealer gave me a price of $15885. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and see what the passat is worth to them and drive the SVT. Sharp looking ride!

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Medrosje said:
without haggling, the dealer gave me a price of $15885. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and see what the passat is worth to them and drive the SVT. Sharp looking ride!
Well that changes everything......11,500 was nice.....16k is too much

Member you can get a new Passat GL for under 20k.......

I would look at the Mazda....even Subaru 2.5RS or something of that sort.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Motor Trend called the SVT focus one of the best FWD cars they've ever tested. It handles very well and you probably would be happy with its performance. You probably can't go wrong for 15 grand for a new car

my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Medrosje said:
Well that changes everything......11,500 was nice.....16k is too much

Member you can get a new Passat GL for under 20k.......

I would look at the Mazda....even Subaru 2.5RS or something of that sort.
My brother-in-law's dad works for Ford and so he looked at the SVT Focus for his daily driver and also the Mazda 3 - he ended up buying the Mazda because he liked it better. However, what was suprising to him was that he actually got the Mazda cheaper than he could have with his Ford A-Plan discount. He got the Mazda BELOW invoice.

One other thing too to keep in mind - the Mazda 3's performance numbers are right in line with the SVT Focus. The SVT Focus is 170 hp and 145 lb ft of torque whereas the 3 is 160 hp and 150 lb ft of torque. Be sure to do yourself a favor and check out the Mazda 3.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i looked at the 3 and yeah, it's not bad. but try optioning a new one out to match the svt and see what it costs. it ain't going to be 15800. i can get ford partner pricing through my company but don't think i can touch this price.

i don't know guys. the car is pretty sweet. new, tight, doesn't rattle. i'm really considering doing it. if i can get in the mid $11s financed i think it's a good move. i don't want to keep dealing with niggling things on my passat, as much as i love the car.

so i think what i'm going to do is bring it by tomorrow and get some pricing of my trade. if the price is right...well, i might do it. if it's not, i'll give the guy my card and number and tell him my price. in the meantime, when he's ready to sell it i'll be back. i am fully prepared to drive away in the passat if the deal isn't to my liking.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have been commuting to East Hartford, CT, from Portsmouth, NH for the last approx 3 yrs, for work. About 400 miles a week, give or take.

Remember, $11,500 is the price I'm hoping for including my car as trade. So 11500=no more passat.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Medrosje said:
sounds good assuming they don't low-ball your trade.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
23 Participants
Medrosje
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing