Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,599 Posts
i have some streetglow hid look lights in right now. they are much brighter that stock, and they have lasted me 5 monthes already

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, yea ive had them in my old ride and they lasted a good while (in fact i still have them cause i didnt want to donate the car with 80 bucks in bulbs in it, haha) with them in the past, just i was worried the DRLs would burn them up quickly.....20villian did you disable yours?

thanks for the feedback, Alex

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine lasted a year and burned out within a week of each other, no DRL's or fingerprints. They put out a nice beam but I was hoping for longer life than that. Maybe I got a bad batch.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I've wanted to try out silver stars but the price is what kept me from getting them. I opt'd for Phillips VP bulbs, got em in early August and still running strong. They are much brighter than stock, have a longer/larger beam patter, and slightly whiter. They have that "If you know Passat's you know they aren't stock look," but miles away from "hey look at me, I'm full of rice."

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Now you guys me have me wanting to buy new light bulbs....DAMN YOU ALL!! :nervous:

So what is the best to get......Phillips VP or Silverstars? Where is the best place to buy these? How much for Phillips and Silverstars? I saw some Silverstars for $20 a piece at Target. Do you guys have the model numbers handy by any chance?

Thanks for any input!!

-Eric

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
theericharris - you don't need a model number per se, you need to buy H7 bulbs for the high beam (exposed bulb) and for the also H7 for the low beam (bulb behind the projector lens).

So 4x H7 if you want to go SS in your HIs and LOs. I've had SS for more than 6 months and no problems... bright, good light pattern, great visability, so-so whiteness... more of a brighter yellow so much so that the yellow becomes much paler.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
No problem in low beam H7 for over a year (I've prob jinxed myself now), but for some reason the fogs don't last as long maybe 3-5months.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So is it worth to buy the H7 SS's? Looks like if I just do the low beams (which I use most of the time anyways), it will cost me $40 (2x$20). If it's 50% better than my current stock bulbs, then I'd be very happy.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
I think the only people who are ever unhappy with their SSs are those who ended up with HID or wanted a pure white/blue-tinged light. Otherwise you'll be satisified with them.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've had them on my 02 GLS wagon for almost two years and they're going strong. DRLs are disabled.

Advance Auto Parts had a rebate on them, so the price was more reasonable. Don't know if they or anyone else still runs such rebates, but you might want to keep your eyes open for them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
More than a year! Great from my seat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had them in for 9 months or so also and I am very happy with them. Nice white without looking too ricey. Disabled DRLs.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
For you guys whose SS burned out rather quickly - were they the US marketed SS, or those from Powerbulbs.com? Any difference in lifetime between the Euro bulb and the US bulb? I've heard (but haven't confirmed) that the two bulbs are different in lens color. Wasn't sure about life, though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
while we are somewhat on the topic, could somebody post a link or quick instructions how to disable the DRLs (besides the e-brake trick) thanks
-Alex

1 - 20 of 35 Posts