Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having some mods done at my local body shop today, and the owner noticed a bunch of keys on my ring, hanging from the ignition key. He warned me that they had several Passats over the years, where the engine has just shut down, as a result of the weight of all of the keys bouncing around, apparently damaging the ignition. He said in most cases, they had to replace the ignition to even get the car started again.

This shop works eclusively on vw's. I'm a little skeptical, but thought I would pass this on as an FYI. :suspicio:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spsmcc said:
like how many keys? i have 7-12 keys on my key ring at any given time and its not very heavy.
I have about same amount. He says the problem is when they swing around alot and jiggle the key inside the ignition. This is probably one of those things that most people would never have a problem with. But the way I drive, I'm not taking any chances...

·
Registered
897 Posts
i only keep two keys on my chain just to be safe .i have heard about this before.better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This was a big problem with the older Benz's, and some GMC's till this day. Your ignation is made to hold some good amount of weight. I am very sure through all the members who will read this thread, not one came accross that problem. That is something that was a problem and fixed sometime back.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The keys bang against the dash and steering column, making scuff marks and annoying sounds. Another reason why I don't have anything dangling ... you know what i mean :suspicio: :D
cheers :beer:

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I take my key off the carabeener(sp) every time I drive. I have a lot of keys and thought there might be a risk of something like this happening.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Okay, okay, I was actually thinking of taking my keys off this morning while on the commute in to work. Done. Just hope I don't forget the house key tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Funny that this topic came up. I went to the dealer a couple of days ago and I handed him my keys. He flips out the switchblade key and tells me to pinch the end of the key, so I did. Well he lets go and the key drops out from between my fingers because of the weight of the other keys that I have on there. Basically his point was that all that weight from all the keys will damage my ignition over time :( So, needless to say, I now only have a house key hanging off my switchblade and the other auto keys are on seperate keyrings :wink:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
991.8t said:
i only keep two keys on my chain just to be safe .i have heard about this before.better safe than sorry.
I have two key rings... one is my driving ring, which I carry at all times, it has my main key, with a small LED light, and the key to my locker at school (soon to come off). The rest of my keys (To my parents cars, and to my house) I keep in my center console, as I park in a garage, and use the homelink to get inside.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
peppy said:
I now only have a house key hanging off my switchblade and the other auto keys are on seperate keyrings :wink:
Switchblade...oh my. Hopefully it is just one of those fake ones with the combs, instead of a blade?? :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I don't know what's wrong with me, but the metal "ring" on the switchblade keys breaks off for me after about 1 month. I stopped replacing them (only like $5 on ebay) and just carry the switchblae and a separate ring of keys.

Mike

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Barnacle-Billy said:
Was having some mods done at my local body shop today, and the owner noticed a bunch of keys on my ring, hanging from the ignition key. He warned me that they had several Passats over the years, where the engine has just shut down, as a result of the weight of all of the keys bouncing around, apparently damaging the ignition. He said in most cases, they had to replace the ignition to even get the car started again.

This shop works eclusively on vw's. I'm a little skeptical, but thought I would pass this on as an FYI. :suspicio:
They mean well, really they do.

Fact is that the ignition switch is on the far side of the lock cylinder on this car, and any movement of heavy, swinging keys is not able to be transmitted through the cylinder to the switch.

The switches fail because they're junk.

Best reason not to have a ton of keys on your folding VW key is so as not to rip out the chrome ring on the new ones or the plastic part on the old ones.

The end.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have one of those quickrelease key rings with 4 or 5 different rings,
each with a different key/keys attached. i detach the B5 key when in
the B5, and the bike key comes off when i ride the bike, etc.etc...

head about this before too, plus the scuffing bothers me.
one key at a time for this guy..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts