Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you propose to your significant other?

1.5 years ago 11/01/01 to be exact, on my GF's birthday, I brought home a large gift box wrapped, with a teddy bear inside it. I had tied the engagement ring around the collar of the bear. :thumbup: When I got home, I handed her her gift. :lol: She unwrapped it, and took out the bear and was like "Ah..ok... a stuffed bear...... yea ok?? :suspicio: :???: [Totally confused look on her face])". :suspicio: :suspicio:

That's when I directed her eyes to the collar and she just stopped breathing for a moment :eek: :shock: as I took the ring (I was nervous and TOTALLY forgot to get down on my knees!!) and told her how much she meant to me :) , how much I love her :heart: , and that I want to spend the rest of my life with her :heart: . Then asked if she'd married me and of course, she said "YES!!" :kiss: . Immediately she was on the phone with all her friends and family. Got married a little over 8 months later on 7/20/02.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Me? In a drunken stuper I screamed across the bar at my then GF and she said , "Yeah, OK, whatever..." And that was pretty much it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :p :p

No. It was a bit more involved than that. I did it on a Christmas Eve long ago. The really goofy part was that I had been planning this for a while and shortly before Christmas she got into a nasty car accident. She ended up with two black eyes! I couldn't go anywhere with her as other people would give me the hard sideways look normally reserved for wife beaters. :suspicio: :suspicio: :suspicio: :suspicio:
So, on Christmas Eve 1991 and with a nasty head cold myself I let her open her little box. Man, was that a sight. Me with a dripping nose, her with two huge black eyes and her cats crawling all over the both of us. Not your textbook, Hollywood proposal and not what I had planned, but it worked just the same. We laugh about it all the time. :lol: The fun part was that her engagment ring was my Great Grandmother's. It was in fairly bad shape and I had to have it cleaned and rebuilt. The gold is really soft and needed special care. The ring and diamonds are over 90 years old. I think I could have bought a whole new ring for the cost of the rebuild to that special ring. But it was worth every penny. :) :thumbup: 8)

She really loves the ring and has been very careful with it. Since then I have given her another ring that amazingly enough fit perfectly with the much older engagment ring. TI had my son give her that ring on the morning of our 10 year anniversary. She didn't see that one coming. I had played it perfectly!!! :thumbup: I left the ring at the shop until the day before. My wife is so snoopy that I'm sure she would have found it had I brought it home even a week early. She did even think I had remembered it was our 10 year anniversary. Silly woman! :lol: :lol:

She now displays all three rings very proudly. :) :heart: :heart: :heart:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Please don't tell me I'm the only guy on this board that got his wife drunk, then hit her in the back of the head repeatedly with a 2x4 until she passed out, slipped the ring on her finger in the meantime and then when she woke up in the Emergency Room explained to her that she jumped off the sofa with so much joy and excitement after I proposed that she fell and hit her head on the coffee table?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
When I proposed to my wife she didn't have a clue,

It was around 9pm, and had a limo pick her up at her parents house. She was sleeping and her mom woke her and told her there was someone at the door looking for her (limo driver) and he told her to go with her, the limo drove her to the restaurant where we had our first date. The only problem was that the restaurant closed at 9pm so I had called in and spoke with the owner and he was nice enough to keep it open for us.

When she arrived at the restaurant there were no cars in the parking lot and that really confused her. She walked in to the restaurant and they sat her at a table brought her some water and we made her wait, (the restaurant is empty, so she has no clue what's going on). After about 5 minutes one server takes an envelop to her, inside the envelop there is a picture of me holding a sign that said "will". Waited 5 more minutes and another serve takes an envelop to her and that one said "you". By now she is looking all over the restaurant, but she cant see me, I can see her though. Waited some more and gave her another envelop, this one of course said "marry" and I delivered the last envelop that said "me" got on my knees and proposed to her. That was almost 7 years ago.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
My wasn't that romantic :(
I picked up my Gf from her house and we went to a restaurant for a dinner. She had no idea what was about to happend. After the meal I took her for a long walk in the moonlight. At some point we stopped I got on the knees and asked her.... dam I was nervous... I had to ask her on more time because I did not hear the answer for the first time... :crazy: :poke:
Anyway we laught when we talk about it now.... it was 2 years ago :) we got married 3 month later in wedding chapel.. Some pics are avaiable here
It is funny because we are going to have 2nd wedding this summer. We have so far only court house wedding, so this year we gonna have the church wedding and a big fiesta with 200 people (the first time only 30)
It will be funny to go thru all of that again :lol: :oops:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I was on vacation at the South Seas Resort in Captiva Island Florida (http://www.south-seas-resort.com/index.cfm/)with my future wife. We had arrived the previous day and she woke up with the sun and wanted to take a walk on the beach. Little did she know that I was packing some ice.

Thankfully her parents, who were vacationing 20 miles away had helped me smuggle the ring past security at Newark Airport. It was the November after 9/11 so it was a little tight. I had feared having the ring detected and opened right infront of my wife, so I gave it to her dad and he got it past security with no problem. I then got it back and kept it on my person the whole rest of the day, including the flight were it was sitting in my pocket right next to my wife.

I put the ring into my pocket and went for a pre-dawn walk. The resort has its own golf course right on the gulf and as the sun was rising, and we were in the perfect spot, right infront of the tee box for the 4th hole I figured this was as good a spot as any. So I said, "Honey, I've got a question." When she turned around I was down on my knee and I asked her something about loving her and wanting to spend the rest of my life with her, I really do not remember. She said yes, and she cried and we started calling everyone we knew on my cell waking them up at 7:00 on a Saturday morning to tell them the great news.

We celebrated twice that vacation. Once that night with friends and family who were down there vacationing. And once when my best friend and his future wife drove down from Orlando for a few days.

Great experience and I wouldn't change anything. Except maybe upping my cell minutes, that stuff is expensive when you run over. :wink:

·
Registered
432 Posts
we were celebrating the one year anniversary of our first date. kind of re-tracing our steps (same restaurant, etc.).

anyway, one of the things we did on our first date was go to the local (small) airport and sit in my jeep and talk and watch the airplanes take off and land after dark (i am a pilot so this is a little less dorky than it may initially sound).

anyway, we were back at the airport a year later. she knew i wanted to get her a little something so i bought her a pair of tennis shoes that she had been wanting. as we sat at the airport that night, i gave her the package and asked her to open it.

she opened it and was like, great new shoes, thanks alot.

me - try them on.

her - why?

me - if they don't fit i'll take them back tomorrow.

her - it's late, i'll try them on tomorrow.

me - please just do it now.

her - ok, whatever.

anyway, i got out and went around to help her with the first shoe (damn she picked the wrong one)

her - fits good. lets go

me - try on the other one too

her - why, this one fits fine.

me - i just want to make sure.

her - you're weird, ok give it to me. (she slips it on) whats in there?

me - oh, just a spare set of shoe strings, you'll need to take them out to try it on.

dangling from one of the shoe strings was the engagement ring. as she turned to look at me with a totally confused look on her face, i was on one knee. she cried alot and said yes. that was june 1995. we got married in july 1996.

kinda dorky, but she had no clue i was going to ask her to marry me. we had never even discussed marriage....but i knew a year prior (on our first date) that i would marry her. she was surprised and that was the most important thing to me. to this day, i'd do it exactly the same way again if given the chance to do it over.

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
I was attending a very formal Royal Naval Mess Dinner.
You know the sort of thing military tux, miniture medals, after dinner speaker the whole works.
We were 'reqd' to have a female guest or wives attend too.
Anyway, I had decided I was going to propose, we had been dating 3 years upto now.
I had the ring tied to a champagne glass ready to do the deed on completion of the mess presidents speech.
Well all goes well untill just prior to him finishing he anounces that I had something to anounce to the mess and would I please come up to the top table.
Talk about peeing myself.
So I had to ask infront of the whole mess, all 150 of them..
I would love to find out who told the old man.
I could have killed them.
At least she said yes, otherwise I would have had to kill myself....

·
Registered
411 Posts
September, 1982. We'd been dating for less than 5 months. We we going to an alumni dance (we both finished the same school a month after we started dating). I took her to a locally famous restaurant. We ordered drinks, and then dinner, then I popped the question. She was in shock! I ended up eating half of her dinner :lol: A couple at the next table bought us a bottle of champagne. :drink: We got married the following August, and the rest is history.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
With my wife,
My original plan was to be on stage at her graduation ceremony, and when she would get her diploma it would be me in full professor cerimonial gown to shake her hand. When she did, (sure she won't realize it was me until that moment) I was going to take a knee and ask her to marry me in front of her whole graduating class. I chickened out. :cry:

Instead,
I bought the diamond, designed the ring, had it made just in time for her graduation day. I planned to take her to the beach that night after graduation. Instead, everyone went out and partied. So, I got her up the next morning before anyone else woke up from their alcohol induced slumber. Took her down to the beach to watch the waves at dawn. There was dolphins and a perfect Huntington Beach morning. I stood her up facing the waves and gave her a card. I gave her a congratulations card telling her how proud I was of her, and how she is an amazing woman. Than there was a arrow pointing to the other side of the card. When you flipped the card, it said "Turn around and look down." She was confused, so it took her sometime. But, I was behind her on one knee with the box open. She turned and I asked "Will you marry me?" She really didn't say yes, it was more of a sobbing confirmation.

It was a special day. Kinda of gets me misty thinking of it. :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lived with my wife for three years. Finally decided to go for it so I bought the rock (with the help of one of the nurses I knew - oval cut) about a month before vacation to Key West. I was worried because I stuffed the ring box into my pocket and went through the metal detector - some security as it didn't set the machine off.

That evening we were sitting on the beach, alone when I pulled the ring and and proposed. After a shocked look, she said yes. Thirty seconds later we hear this "Ooofff" from directly behind us. A homeless person sleeping on a bench tried to roll over and fell flat on his face in the sand. Priceless, and a still a great story to tell after 9 years.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I just got engaged about 3 months ago and it was a bit ruined for me. She knew the day was comeing so her "friend" at work told her that she had to pick out the ring and diamond.. DAMN THAT FRIEND!!!! So, my gf has me go to the mall with her to look at the setting, then I bought the SIZE of diamond she wanted. Lets just say I could have had 5 -8 sets of wheels. So, I finally got the ring and diamond and proposed to her on our very first dinner when we bought our house. She sooooo knew it was coming, down to the night. It really ruined it all for me. I was so relieved to get it over with after this whole ring ordeal.

And I never was able to get my wheels, and probably won't now :( She she came back from shopping for her wedding dress today and said its about $500. I mean, where do the guys ever benefit from getting married? And, don't say we get the girl... I hear that line from women. Yeah, they get the guy..hehe

Our wedding date is set for Sept 26, 2004. I can't wait to get married and move on with the rest of our lives. I am excited for the wedding to be done with. It's so much of a hassle. The ring, engagement and wedding are so much to deal with. I am over it already before its here.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
$500 for a wedding dress isn't too bad my friend. I was totaling up what we're up to and we haven't even BOUGHT her dress yet, I know we had a thread a while back about expensive weddings, and I'm definatley having one, here's the tally (thank god I'm only paying for a small portion

16,500 for the hall
300 for church
4,100 for photographer
950 for limo (Stretch Hummer H2 w/ Leopard print interior)

We still have to buy the cake, flowers, her dress, my attire.... it never ends.

Our date is June 25, 2005

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Gurft,

WOW!!! That's a lot of money. I don't see a wedding as that important that I would need to spend that kind of money. Even if I was rich, I would spend over 20k. I would rather put that money into something lasting. I can have a nice wedding for a decent price... I hope. :)

Kevin

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm the same way, I'd be married by a pastor ordained on the internet in a 7-11, but since she's Daddy's only daughter, she gets the wedding of her dreams.

Not that I'm upset, I think it's going to be a great time, just a little excess. I DID get to pick the Stretch hummer tho, but lost on having the Hokey-Pokey and Chicken Dance at the reception.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dan Gurft! That's gonna be an expensive wedding!

For us... we opted to have a small wedding (both my wife and I insisted). Our total cost was around $12K and we had 65 guests. Saved the rest of the money as a downpayment for our first house! :thumbup: :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
OneGuyInCA
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing