Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I installed a backup camera in the keyhole on the trunk lid last night:

I removed the lock cylinder and made a custom mounting plate out of some scrap aluminum I had lying around the garage. The cables and the mounting stud on the camera are concentric and I fed them through the mounting plate behind the keyhole. I applied liberal amounts of clear silicone sealant in the area under the camera for weatherproofing. I then bolted up the mounting stud to the aluminum plate and created a sandwich with the trunk lid in between. It seems to hold on very tightly.

I then fed the wires through the trunk lid and out of the wire grommets on the left hand side of the lid itself. The wires were then fed to the trunk through the existing wire grommet on the car's body on the left-hand trunk edge. The power for the camera was tapped from the backup light so it only receives power when backing up. I figured it not only saves battery life, but can also prevent damage to the camera from constantly being on.

The video signal (RCA) cable was fed through the trunk wall and into the passenger cabin. I hid the wire under the door sill, drivers kick panel, and dash so it can be connected to my new head unit. There is no evidence of wiring anywhere in the cabin. The wires were zipped tied in place to prevent shifting. I was going for a completely OEM look. The result:

Lastly, I tracked down a reverse signal wire (found under the driver's side kick panel) and tapped into that wire to send a trigger to the head unit to automatically switch the video source on screen whenever I shift it to reverse (and back to the previous screen when I shift out of reverse). The audio remains, just the video changes to prevent any interruption in music.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks! I haven't installed my new head unit yet (it comes on Friday), but I hooked up a portable DVD player to test it and it looks great! I'll post pictures when the new head unit is installed.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Thanks! I appreciate all the complements! I finally got the new head unit at lunch today and took some time out this afternoon to install it. I can finally show how the backup camera looks (sorry for the iPhone pics):

The image is clear and the guidance lines line up pretty well with my rear bumper.

The new head unit is a Pioneer AppRadio 3 (SPH-DA210) with a built-in DVD Video player behind the fold down screen. It features:

- 7-Inch Capacitive Multi-Touch Touchscreen LCD with power adjustable angle/tilt
- Full iPhone 5/Lightning Compatibility (Video/Audio/Charging) as well as legacy 30-pin connectivity
- Siri Eyes-Free Voice Recognition
- Andriod Connectivity as well as MirrorLink capabilities
- Google Now Voice Recognition
- Apps: Navigation, Facebook, Web Browsing, Twitter, YouTube, Netflix, Photos, Calendar, etc.
- Bluetooth: Voice Recognition, Phonebook, Audio Streaming
- HDMI input
- Built-In GPS receiver and Antenna

I really loved the way my last AppRadio sat flush and looked OEM:

So I tried to mount the new head unit with the same flush fit:

But unfortunately, the tilting/opening mechanism of the screen needed more clearance to move than a flush fit allowed. In the end I had to have the head unit sit out a few mm:

Not a big deal, but I was a little bummed. Despite this, I'm real happy with it!

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Thanks, Radical! Yeah, the HVAC trim wasn't a match but it looks much better than the peeling rubber coating on the plastic trim it replaced. I'm not sure if it was faded or if it was a different color.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)

It's funny how a hunk of metal, glass, and rubber can can stir up memories and emotions. Maybe it's a car guy thing but over the last 13 years of owning this car, I've grown quite attached to it. We have been through a lot together - selling one house, building another, getting married to the girl of my dreams and having two wonderful kids. Here's to more happy adventures ahead! Happy 13th birthday! You're officially a teenager.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I did a key conversion to a Bentley key a couple of years ago, but today I did a second key conversion to the newer style Bentley key. Here they are side by side. All functions work and the immo chip was successfully transferred.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That looks so awesome man!

Was it difficult to do either conversion?
Did you have a guide that you followed or was it relatively straight forward?

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks! The older Bentley key was straight forward, but the new one was a little difficult. I had to trim the circuit board and relocate the battery terminals. I had a hard time finding how to crack open the newer Bentley key, but there was a guy on Vortex that did the same conversion so I used his post as a guide to do mine.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

14 years of ownership and 10 years without car payments! It still looks brand new!

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
15 years ago, this B5.5 came into our lives from a dealership in Vienna and has traveled through 25 states and 2 countries. It's been a faithful companion and hopefully will be for years to come! Happy 15th, ol' buddy! Next year it will be old enough to drive itself!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks! The older Bentley key was straight forward, but the new one was a little difficult. I had to trim the circuit board and relocate the battery terminals. I had a hard time finding how to crack open the newer Bentley key, but there was a guy on Vortex that did the same conversion so I used his post as a guide to do mine.
Could you point me in the right direction to said write ups for this?

61 - 77 of 77 Posts