Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The Pioneer SPH-DA02?
You guessed it, Keith! The second version of AppRadio 1. I got it at Crutchfield yesterday. They are on clearance from the original $400 to $180. Install was a little more involved than my last head unit, but I expected it to be since I needed to wire in the parking brake and add a GPS antenna to the current wiring setup. It doesn't help matters that I'm a stickler to keeping the stock appearance, hiding every inch of wire, antenna, and ports/cables. I also had to make some minor modifications to make this fit flush in the dash, as our radio depth is pretty small. It took me about 4 hours total.

This unit is a slight step down in sound quality to my last JVC Arsenal, but the added features make up for it. It also looks a billion times better in the dash than the OEM or JVC unit I had before.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's been a little while since I did anything to my B5.5, so I took out the JVC Arsenal unit last night and put in a new Pioneer AppRadio:

It uses my iPhone as the computer "brain" and allows me to access Pandora, Phone, Navigation, NetFlix, YouTube, Facebook, etc on the go.
Im in the process of buying one for my 2005 B5.5 Passat. How hard was it to fit the Pioneer SPH-DA02 into the dashboard? Can a newb do it?
Also does this thing support AM/FM?

I'm buying it to use with my Android GS3 but also wanna use it with my Ipod touch

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ahhh suck! It doesnt support Android.

The Pioneer SPH-DA02 is $149 right now on Crutchfield but only supports iPhone :(
The Pioneer SPH-DA100 supports SOME Android models but is $499 :(

For a second i thought i found heaven

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Badgeless chrome grill installed today. Unfortunately I broke the hood release pull trying to put it back together and now I have to use a big screw driver to open the hood latch.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Badgeless chrome grill installed today. Unfortunately I broke the hood release pull trying to put it back together and now I have to use a big screw driver to open the hood latch.
That thar is a shiny car. I has an extra plastic release pull if that is what you broke. :wrench:

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks for the compliment, KB. Yup, the release pull is what I need. I guess 12 years and cold weather made it a little brittle. Thanks in advance, man.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Added the M3-style Lip Spoiler painted in OEM color as well as the matte black VW emblem:

(Sorry for the poor iPhone picture quality - my car was backed into the garage and it was during the evening)

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It's almost 12 years since we bought this car back in 2001. To celebrate, I installed the OEM polished stainless steel exhaust tips that were being clearanced for $13. They were easy to install, but a pain in the rear to align straight. It took me about 2.5 hours to get them even.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Installed a complete LED kit with glovebox and rear plate bulbs:

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
How do you like the LED's?
I like the kit a bunch. It was a really easy and inexpensive way to update the interior. The old incandescent bulbs look like they belong on a 1980's car when they were on right next to the LEDs. The difference is really staggering.

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
I like the kit a bunch. It was a really easy and inexpensive way to update the interior. The old incandescent bulbs look like they belong on a 1980's car when they were on right next to the LEDs. The difference is really staggering.
Awesome! I'm excited to order mine than.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
This took me 5 days to complete, but I finally finished it today. A custom solid wood roof rack:

Wood: Red Oak
Stain: Minwax English Chesnut (2 coats with 24hrs in between coats)
Finish: Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane with UV and Extreme Climate Protection (3 coats with 24 hrs in between coats)
Hardware: Stainless Steel Wingnuts, Wood Screws, and Washers. Thule Square Head T-Bolts.

Trying to prep the wood (fine sanding and conditioning) and applying a good stain and UV/Outdoor Polyurethane coat on the pieces of wood took 5 days, but putting it all together took about 30 minutes. It is extremely solid and looks great! I couldn't capture the color with my iPhone, but it looks much better in person.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Nice wooden rack! Came out perfect. :thumbup:

I'm in the process of refinishing mine. It's been off and disassembled since a few weeks after Vagfest.

It's proving to be really difficult to remove the old poly-stain. Sanding just isn't doing it, no matter what grit.. I think I might have to take a plane tool to it to get it off!

I also bought the same English Chestnut as well as the clear finish. Glad to see how nice the color looks. :p

41 - 60 of 77 Posts