Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My folks are finally buying a new car and I was really surprised that they are interested in the Touareg eventhough they were shocked how much my Passat costs (and the Touareg cost at least $10,000 more).
They have been longtime multiple Acura drivers and spoiled by their excellent customer service and relationship, but they are not so interested in any new Acuras, even awesome new TL (don't ask me why).
They need the space and practicality but don't like the looks of wagons and minivans, so they were attracted to the Touareg because it has the adjustable air suspension (they are short and my mom couldn't imagine climbing into a SUV in a skirt), and it looks very tastefully designed and finished. I know VW dealerships in general have relatively poor service and I'm worried that will ruin their otherwise good VW experience.

I been to a couple dealerships where my folks live (just north of the city in Richmond Hill) to get some parts a year ago. My experience has been mixed:
Richmond Hill VW (Yonge & Major Mac) - it's a total dump, a tiny aging dealership with no concern or courtesy to it's customers, been there twice and I left with a very sour, untrusting taste in my mouth.
VW Villa (Yonge & Steeles) - very nice new modern dealership, everyone there seems friendly and always willing to help (both sales & service), their large service department is very clean and well managed.

Anyone here could share your experience with a VW dealership in the Toronto or York Region area? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
From what I have read over the years on the Canadian forum on the vortex...

Villa has it's ups and downs. In general, it is above average and respects it's clientelle, both in terms of sales and service.

The hands down winner, long time vortex member (Jouko Haapanen), mod friendly dealership is Georgetown VW in Georgetown (slightly north west of Toronto proper). It is close to York. He's a nice guy, IM him any question you might have.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
curtis13 said:
i would think, considering that they are accustomed to acuras, that a move down to a vw would be disappointing and frustrating for them in the long-run. but that's just me.
You are right! Although getting a Touareg is not so much a move down as it is a beautifully designed, made and finished SUV (just as nice or even nicer than BMWs, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc.) -- the level of service and prestige factor is definately a big step down which is important if you are spending that kind of money on a car.
My folks were really impressed with the VW Touareg and liked it better than the Lexus RX330 and Infiniti FX35, however when properly optioned the price of the Touareg was way more than they expected and it was substantially more than the RX330 and FX35. Eventhough it was more expensive than the other SUVs they still prefered the VW.

They went to Acura 2000 in Brampton, Ontario (where they bought 4 other cars from them) to look at the MDX, and eventhough it seemed like a relative bargain with tons of standard features, they didn't like the bland styling. They were really impressed by the new 2004 TL (one of the cars I suggested to them). It had a really nice interior with lots of features (uncluding the really cool navigation system integrated DVD audio stereo system, bluetooth feature and voice activation), an awesome 270hp V6 engine, and priced about $10,000 below a similarly equipped Touareg. They bought from the owner and same salesperson they have been dealing with for the last 15 years and got a great deal (something you can't do with the Touareg as they are selling them at sticker price).

I'm pretty happy with their decision since I'm pretty much against SUVs in general (except for the Touareg and the FX35), and I know they won't be frustrated about the bad service typically associated with VW dealerships.
Too bad they went with the silver instead of the black exterior, it's still nice but the all black exterior looks so sleek and sharp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
aowhaus
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing