Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had one bulb go out last week and decided to replace them today w/PIAA H3's. They were on for about 5 min shining much to my pleasure a real bright yellow 8) Then they shut off :???: I replaced fuse #36 and that did not do anything :???: I have the euroswitch and the front fog indicator light is suppossed to be green w/front fogs turned on right?
Any ideas/input would be greatly appriciated :bow:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
defective bulb? I dont know...did oyu try to swap it on the other side?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I would open the fogs up and make sure nothing is burned/charred or anything due to heat. other then that, start tracing....

I would start with the green/white wires in the footwell areas of the cabin and make sure that you have power at the connectors then work towards the switch if you dont. If you do, work towards the fogs.

Also, do you hear the fog light relay clicking when you pull out on the switch? You should hear a faint click sound from the relay panel. If you don't, maybe your relay is shot? How bright were the lights? maybe something got damaged from too much current....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gurft...the lights are 12v 55w PIAA Xtra ion crystal...I don't hear any faint click from the relay. I took out my euroswitch and replaced the stock and that didn't do anything either. I will look into your other comments for trouble shooting as soon as I have time. Thanks

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The fog light relay is #381, I would pull the lower dash off and put my hand on it while I turned the fogs on and off, you should be able to feel it tripping over. If it doesn't might be the relay is melted/gone bad (you should be able to smell it) or you're not getting power to the relay, at which point I would start pointing fingers at my switch or the wiring between.

Check the info forum for my writeup on adding OE foglights to a B5.5 GL, might give you some hints as to where to go lookin'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts