Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do about them. I tried Maguiar's Plastix, but it didn't do any good. It seems that it is eroding on the inside of the plastic, too. Any ideas?

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
i assume that's going to be a pain to fix, eh?
chances are, i'l be the guinne pig for his car again -_-...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just replace them with some angel eyes or projectors, they'll look spectacular. And a lot less work than buffing and grinding old plastic

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
my headlights were so bad that the plastix didnt work so i had to use sand paper on them to sand them smooth again but i didnt have an internal problem

·
Registered
220 Posts
What should I do about them. I tried Maguiar's Plastix, but it didn't do any good. It seems that it is eroding on the inside of the plastic, too. Any ideas?
I have something similar. My passenger side lights seem to be fogging up from the inside, while the driver's side are clear. I have not tried anything yet. I'm puzzled as to why only the passenger side ?? Somehow I get the feeling that a headlight disassembley is in my future to clean the thing from the inside. HOw difficult/tricky is headlight removal?

If anyone has experienced this, and found a cure....please chime in.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have something similar. My passenger side lights seem to be fogging up from the inside, while the driver's side are clear. I have not tried anything yet. I'm puzzled as to why only the passenger side ?? Somehow I get the feeling that a headlight disassembley is in my future to clean the thing from the inside. HOw difficult/tricky is headlight removal?

If anyone has experienced this, and found a cure....please chime in.
Don't know a whole lot about the rest, but headlight removal is a breeze. Pop the corner out by releasing the spring behind it and push from the back gently so as not to break the tabs.

The headlight has two screws on the top and one on the side that is visible once the corner is removed. Take those out and it slides right on out.

Since you didn't specify, this is for a B5. I'm sure someone else can chime in if you have a b5.5.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, I have a '02 1.8T as well. It seems that the headlight is like melting from the inside. Is there any way to make it not look like shit anymore? Plus they're yellowing...

·
Registered
901 Posts
if you don't want to burn a whole in your wallet i suggest you wet sand your lights.....message me if you want to learn how...i did it to my passat and it looks alot better now...

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
taking a headlight out in a B5.5 requires taking the front bumper off, then there are 5 bolts/screws holding it in.

taking the front bumper off is actually a breeze. remove the screw from the inside of the wheel well, remove the screw from under the grill, then boom... slide the bumper forward and it comes right off

·
Registered
220 Posts
First I need to determine if the hazing is happening on the inside or outside. Its not easy to tell for sure. I've heard of "wet sanding", and found instructions for it on www.autopia.org, that will be me method of last resort.

I remember seeing a "yellow headlight" repair kit at Autozone (don't know the brand or the product name). Has anyone tried it, or have experience with it?

BTW, today I ran into a college kid who does auto detailing on the side. When I asked him for his recommended remedy, he said to try toothpaste. Weird.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you don't want to burn a whole in your wallet i suggest you wet sand your lights.....message me if you want to learn how...i did it to my passat and it looks alot better now...
Yep, followed the wet sending instructions on autopia.org and the light is looking a lot better. I wet sanded with 1500 grit only, then used some Paint Polish, Aluminum Polish and Plastx the AIO and SG. Next time, I'll go with also using 2000 grit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just the plastic

Isn't it possible to just get new clear plastic outside covers for the lights without buying the whole new assembly? I looked around the forums for a little while and didn't see anyone talk about this option. Or do I HAVE to buy the entire headlight assembly? If it is possible, could someone help me out with part #s? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got the PlastX to work pretty well. I've gotta get new headlights anyways, soon. Angel eyes =)

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I've heard (or read) that brake fluid does a good job.

I used it on my old headlights for shits and giggles but I'm not sure if it did anything, or if my headlights were just dusty :lol: . . . they didn't damage them though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts