Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the fog lights not the headlights on at all times. So I pulled the relay 173. Now no more daytime headlights when handbrake is disengaged.

I found that the relay 381 is for the fog lights. Is there a way to rig the relay to make the fog lights on at all times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
You can simply remove the relay and jumper 30 to 87 to run fogs all of the time. The problem would be when you use the highbeams, as fogs with highbeams are not legal.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I want the fog lights not the headlights on at all times. Is there a way to rig the relay to make the fog lights on at all times?
By "at all times" do you mean all night long when you are in bed, or do you mean the fogs come on when the handbrake is off, but headlights stay off? PZ's approach would power them 24/7 as you suggested, but you would probably want a dedicated switch in the middle of that jumper wire, to control the fog lights. I'll have to look at the schematic to see what to change for no DTLs.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By "at all times" do you mean all night long when you are in bed, or do you mean the fogs come on when the handbrake is off, but headlights stay off? PZ's approach would power them 24/7 as you suggested, but you would probably want a dedicated switch in the middle of that jumper wire, to control the fog lights. I'll have to look at the schematic to see what to change for no DTLs.
For the DTL I simply pulled the relay 173. No DTL anymore.

I want the fog lights on as long as the ignition is on.

I simply want to replace the DTL with the fog lights.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible to connect the foglights with the hand brake switch that normally turns on the DTL?

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
It should be, but you would need to run a jumper through the DRL relay and the Fogs relay. I can't think straight enough to figure it out until I am off these meds, but it should not be too difficult for someone with basic electrical knowledge. Look at the back of the relays as a wiring diagram. A relay is a trigger for higher power to a circuit than a normal switch can handle. So, track which part is "lit" by the handbrake and make it trigger the fogs instead.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Is it possible to connect the foglights with the hand brake switch that normally turns on the DTL?
Not directly; those fog lights are 55 Watts each (if halogen) I think, together they'll draw between 8 and 9 amps. I doubt that hand brake switch is rated for that. As PZ said, that switch can instead control the small current necessary to operate a relay. One thing to remember is that anytime you need to use the handbrake while driving, such as passing the highway patrol and using it to slow down without turning on the brake lights, your fog lights turning off might attract their attention.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
such as passing the highway patrol and using it to slow down without turning on the brake lights
:LOL:
I do that all the time. Especially at night time when your brakes light up every single reflective sign behind you.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
:LOL:
I do that all the time. Especially at night time when your brakes light up every single reflective sign behind you.
I don't. I figure if I can see him, he can see me. Already caught. I just let my foot off the gas.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not directly; those fog lights are 55 Watts each (if halogen) I think, together they'll draw between 8 and 9 amps. I doubt that hand brake switch is rated for that. As PZ said, that switch can instead control the small current necessary to operate a relay. One thing to remember is that anytime you need to use the handbrake while driving, such as passing the highway patrol and using it to slow down without turning on the brake lights, your fog lights turning off might attract their attention.
LOL

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
I don't know much about US road laws, but I expect it would NOT be legal to run the fog lights all the time.
I expect the same rules would apply to the fog lights as to the high beams.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts