Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've been around this site learning for a long time, finally i have a question that i couldn't find the answer for through search.

On my last trip to Japan i bought PIAA Platinum Plus H3 Fog lights bulbs to replace the default ones (Passat 2.0 /2003). The installation went just fine and they worked for about half an hour, then the Fog lights just went off.

I removed the new PIAA,they visually seemed fine. Replaced them with the old ones but as you might expect they didn't work as well.
Something inside went wrong which i wonder what.

Please advise me what should i change to get my Fog Lights working again.

PS. i will put back my old H3 light since i wasn't impressed with the PIAA H3s.

Thank you for your time.
Ken

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
when you put your old h3s back did they work?

when both of my fogs went out at the same time it was a fuse issue.

check your fog light fuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The old Fog lights didn't work after the replacement.
Both of the PIAA lights went off simultaneously.

Would you mind telling me where and how to check the Fog lights fuse?

Thank you

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
open your driver side door, you should see a fuse panel cover on the side like this:

remove that cover by prying it off, there should be a fuse location card attatched to the cover. strangely, i've discovered that the foglight fuse is actually in the lower region of the fuses and not properly charted. i suggest you check them by using the fuse removal tool also attatched to the cover and see if any are blown.

these are jetta pix but i think the setup is fairly identical. it's a painless troubleshooting procedure that should take you only a few min. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Bentley manual (Section W 97-6) shows Fuse Position 36 (15amp) for the foglights. Check it with a multi meter, as visual inspection doesn't always work.
Fuse panel is behind round trim cover piece on drivers side of dash board.
The foglight relay is number 381- just in case the fuse isn't it (W 97-2).
You probably will need to remove the lower dash trim section to get to the relay panel.
I used Sylvania SilverStar (HS ST) in my 2003 GLX4Motion with no problems. I just put them in my W8 - they match the HID's much better than the H3's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new Fog Lights are H3 12v 55w. Those bulbs provide 110w 4100K, is it the problem? supposedly Higher wattage than normal though they are 55w!

Anyway, thank you sirs for all the help and your time. Much appreciated.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
we've seen a lot of people here trying out the 55w-->110w types of bulbs including myself. i had no problems with them but i've heard horror stories from something small such as blown fuse or bulb to melted housing/harness/fires...etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, fuse was the problem so i got a new fuse from the stealership yesterday (finally).
After placing the new fuse driver-side fog light was ok the passenger-side was not, thus i'm facing another problem now.
I checked if it was firm then swapped the bulbs coz i thought it might have died but it wasn't the case.

Please advise if you have any idea about what could have went wrong o(ther than fuse and bulb)

PS. i put back my original H3 bubs.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My fogs are out, too. After a shop fixed my car I got it back and the fog lights didn't work... and I had just replaced the bulbs. The shop claims they had nothing to do with it, which is believable because all they did was replaced an evap valve and an o-ring that was leaking engine coolant nears the transfer case.

I switched the fuse with another that I know works, and nothing. Not sure what's wrong... but I want my fog lights =/
Please help!
Thanks!

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
they are both out? or just 1 side? take out the bulbs and see if they look burnt. if they had to remove the bumper for service position, they might have disconnected it for some reason as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this happen on my 2002 Passat. If after changing a bulb, both fogs won't come on and the green light on the switch does not come on, you've blown the fuse shown above. I can guaranty that the rubber sleeve on the H3 wire is not pulled down all the way and is shorting out the bulb. Pull it down a little and rearrange it so it doesn't touch and voila! Well that and change the fuse you blew.:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had this happen on my 2002 Passat. If after changing a bulb, both fogs won't come on and the green light on the switch does not come on, you've blown the fuse shown above. I can guaranty that the rubber sleeve on the H3 wire is not pulled down all the way and is shorting out the bulb. Pull it down a little and rearrange it so it doesn't touch and voila! Well that and change the fuse you blew.:thumbup:
how much was the fuse?

·
Registered
21 Posts
can anyone help out? please? :p so i got a new fuse and i changed it..and as soon as i put the new one in the fuse blew again...so now i have no idea whats wrong? helphelpp lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts