Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a bonehead move the other day. I somehow sent my wife's key FOB through the wash, ahem and the dryer. :rolleyes:
Well needless to say that FOB is now toast.

FrescoGreen01.5 sent me a FOB a couple of months ago. Admittingly I've been lazy to get it programmed to the car because the other (original) one was still mostly working. It would go through a battery every couple weeks and every once and a while the trunk release button seemed a bit flaky.
Enough is a enough, I've got to get this taken care of so my wife doesn't have to mess around with this anymore.

There's only one key in existence for my wife's car.

Can someone verify if this video is accurate. Wife's car is a 2003 GLX
If it's really this simple even I can do that.

Skip to 1:45, up until that point it's pretty painful to watch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have used this method on a B5 and it worked.

It seems odd but this really just follows the normal programming process. You are just tricking the car into thinking you have a second key by bypassing the lock cylinder.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems odd but this really just follows the normal programming process. You are just tricking the car into thinking you have a second key by bypassing the lock cylinder.
Makes sense.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success!
That took all of about a minute. I spent more time gathering the 2 tools needed than it took to re-program the FOB.
My wife is all smiles now.

Reactions: FrescoGreen01.5

·
Registered
182 Posts
Think this would work on an 01 Beetle? The laser key is the same, just doesn't recognize it by the security system.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might. While perusing through YouTube videos I noticed this same procedure supposedly worked on Jetta, MK, Audi. I don't think VW would put something proprietary into a Beetle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts