Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2000 reg Passat B5 with Climatronic.

I have foam coming out of the interior vents occasionally, and I believe it's caused by the foam disintegrating on the blend door. My aircon doesn't seem to work very well and I so this coupled with the foam leaves me to think its the blend door.

Earlier on today I thought I would start removing parts to see where the blend door is, whilst I wait to buy the replacement foam. So using the guides I could find, I removed the drivers side lower dash, glovebox, radio, Climatronic, centre console. However, I couldn't work out how to remove the passenger side dash (without the top dash - which I was reluctant to remove as to me it looks like there is a way to remove the passenger side dash without it?).

Anyway, after all this I couldn't see the blend door anywhere, so my question is where is the blend door on a Passat B5 with Climatronic? And what can I test to verify it is in fact the blend door? Any further hints or tips please?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
It will be coming from all the flaps etc.
You will need to remove the complete dash to remove and repair the Climatronic unit.

·
Registered
782 Posts
To expand on that:
You'll need to remove the complete dash, and remove and disassemble the HVAC box, to repair the blend flap.
It's a problem that goes back to the A1 chassis days, unfortunately.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. That sucks because I don't think removing the full dash is a job I could do confidently, and it would require discharging and recharging the AC from what I have seen?

I'm assuming there is no way to repair the blend door without discharging the AC either? It's a shame because I saw guides for other models whereby you could remove the lower dash and radio etc and repair the blend door albeit in a very tight working space. I was hoping the B5 Passat was the same.

·
Registered
27,591 Posts
If you remove the cabin air filter, you should be able to view the door from above. I am not sure if you can manually move the door without stripping the plastic gear that moves it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts