Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellows, some help here would be much appreciated.

Since my knob became sloppy I went ahead to replace the gear shift pivot linkage part 893711118E

There's not much info about this around but I was able to find some piece of data here and there and got confident enough to do the job my self. Bad idea. After clearing the way for the linkage removal, as soon as it detached from the gearshift lever, two stupid parts went flying around to the driver's side, one spring and one bush:

I've been trying to get it back together but these parts don't seem to make much sense, at least I'm failing to figure out how these come back together.

Would it be something like that? If not could any one PLEASE give some guidance? What are these for???

Thanks very much.
Vbart

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,304 Posts
Does this help?
Rectangle Font Slope Line Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope
Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Does this help?
Gee, thanks VAGguy but my car is 1998/1999 model so the right picture for it would be the following:

According to the picture, both spring and side bushing seem to come from the left heading the shift lever. The problem is that there's too much pressure to make this setup possible, the only way I see things could get back is by leaving the spring in the other side, but still inside the ball joint body, like shown below:

Would it make sense? I see no difference at all with these parts mounted or not so I may be taking it the wrong way :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things start to look a little more clear now:

It looks like both spring and bushing fit in the right side of the ball joint housing with the rounded face of the bushing facing the lever. The problem is that this stupid part simply disappeared and I'll need to order a new bushing online, ack. At least it LOOKS like I've got it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts