Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done this? I need to do it this weekend, I was told by a dealer that the do it with garden hose. No special tools needed.

Now the Q is, how??? :)

Do I leave the car running? where do I run the hose etc etc.

One of those write ups would be very helpful!

TIA

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
its pretty simple. first mix your coolant to 50/50, drain the coolant from the radiator, fill the radiator with water, start engine and allow it to heat up to 190deg. turn off the engine, drain the water from radiator, *optional refill with water again and heat up to 190deg. off the engine and drain, then top it off with the 50/50 mix.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
vincheung said:
its pretty simple. first mix your coolant to 50/50, drain the coolant from the radiator, fill the radiator with water, start engine and allow it to heat up to 190deg. turn off the engine, drain the water from radiator, *optional refill with water again and heat up to 190deg. off the engine and drain, then top it off with the 50/50 mix.
:shock:

WHOA! STOP!

Is a VW engine radically different from other internal combustion engines? :???: I am not a professional mechanic, but I have always read/heard that, if the engine block is HOT, you drain your coolant with the car off, but you refill your coolant with the ENGINE RUNNING. (start car THEN fill) If the coolant isn't circulating, it may cause the block to shrink irregularly and could crack the block. (read: NEW ENGINE) :cry: If I'm wrong about VW's new engines, please disregard. But I would sure get another opinion before I ran cold water into a hot engine block on my car.

Calling HermanH. HermanH? Anybody? Beuller?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Yup, probably not a good idea to refill with the coolant with the engine running.

What's more, it just isn't necessary on a VW.

1.8's burp themselves pretty well, and V6's burp REALLY well because of the bleed screw.

1.8-Drain everything you want to drain, fill up coolant reservoir with your new coolant, start engine, top off coolant. Drive around block, top off coolant.

V6-Drain everything you want to drain, crack bleed screw, fill up coolant reservoir, start engine, wait until you get coolant out the screw, tighten screw, top off, drive around block, top off.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
pooh, read what i wrote before you go and quote me.
1)mix coolant + water to 50/50
2)drain old coolant
3)fill radiator with water
4)start engine and heat to 190deg. then turn it OFF
5)drain water
6)fill with fresh coolant
7)start engine and let it run, check for leaks, top off fluids etc.

when did i ever say to refill coolant with the engine running pooh? Read when I say "turn off." You fill the radiator with water and heat it up to flush out all the rusty gunk and sh!t out of the cooling system then drain it out AFTER you turn off the engine. Then you put in some fresh coolant WHEN YOUR ENGINE IS OFF.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
vincheung said:
pooh, read what i wrote before you go and quote me.
I did read what you wrote. And I didn't misquote you, I said I disagree. You didn't say that the engine should be running, I DID. AND I SAID I MAY BE WRONG AND THAT HE SHOULD GET A SECOND OPINION. I am wrong, and I apologize. My point was that doing this operation wrong is risky and he should consult a professional. Perhaps YOU should read what I wrote. MY ego is not involved in this argument.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
How do I "drain" the coolant? Do I need to reach under the car?

Also, can the in between flushes be done with regular tap water?

When I mix 50/50, is it advisable to use distilled water or am i OK with tap water?
Have no idea. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
4)start engine and heat to 190deg. then turn it OFF
5)drain water

Wont it be a little hot?????
:eek:
Do you guys wear really big gloves or something?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
YetAnother20V said:
How do I "drain" the coolant? Do I need to reach under the car?

Also, can the in between flushes be done with regular tap water?

When I mix 50/50, is it advisable to use distilled water or am i OK with tap water?
Have no idea. Any help is appreciated.
the flush i belive can be done with tap water

drain, fill, run, upto temp , turn on the heater for a bit, wait a bit to cool , repeat first 6 steps till you dont see anymore coolant

then fill with distilled water and g-12

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
This environmental engineer says please recycle your used coolant. Don't have a place to recycle it? Then the next best place is down the toilet to the the sewer or septic tank. Certainly not recommended for shop operations, but it is a safe way for the shade tree mechanic to deal with small volumes of used coolant.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
The screw for the V6 is on a pipe down under the main plastic engine cover. It is a curving, painted black metal pipe, and the screw is on the driver's side of the centerline of the engine, near the front. Sort of down below the intake. It is a allen-head little gold screw.

Easist way to find is to look at the driver's side timing belt cover, and then look a little to the passenger side of that, down a little, and there it is.

There is no bleeder on a 1.8t.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There is a "bleeder" on the 1.8t, If you look in between the Battery and ECU there is a piece of corregated plastic held on by a zip tie, cut the zip tie to expose the heater core hoses, you will notice on the left one if you face the engine, there are white marks with a hole in the center.

What you do is slide the spring clamp off this white marked hose, and pull it back until the hole no longer seals, easy way to tell is slide it back and check with a paper clip etc. Dont pull the hose completely off, just enough for the hole to "breathe"

Remove the three screws that hold the coolant tank in and bring it up as high as possible, prop it up if you have to.

Fill the coolant back untill it flows out of the hole you just exposed, this will purge the air.

run the car to temp with the heat on high at 2000 rpm for 3 min. Shut it off and top up the coolant

Easy way to do this is pour in just under 1 gallon g12 and top off with water.

3.75 litres g12
3.75 litres distilled/de-ionized water as I remember to protect to -25c\

Thats it..

TJ

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Those leak too often to use. That, and I completely forgot about them. :nervous:

I don't consider them necessary, either. But that is just me.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
some places will take it

i know the goodyear automotive by my house will take oil and antifreeze

if they dont your local dump will take it for a smal fee like 3 or 5 bucks

also for my v6 dohc the capacitie = little over 6 liters or 6.4 q

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I have a 99 Passat 1.8T, Tip. I'm buying a bunch of stuff from ECS and am wondering if I should throw in the coolant to. Not sure if this is what I need or if its worth it, what do you think?:

"Pentosin Lifetime Antifreeze, pink in color, (1.5 liters)
OEM replacement fluid for all vehicles that came with pink antifreeze
/W & Audi part #G001200

Pentosin Antifreeze is specifically adapted for use in alloy engines. It offers excellent advantages over other similar products:prevents lime formation, does not foam, protects against corrosion & cavitation, Nitrite, Amine & Phosphate Free, manufactured to meet the exacting standards of DIN, ASTM & DBL & is formulated for all year use. Most importantly it is the OEM fluid for your V/W & Audi.
$9.55/liter "

1 - 20 of 26 Posts