Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the correct and easiest way to flush your brake fluid? Couldn't find it in the Info Forum although i could have overlooked it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Can someone tell me the correct and easiest way to flush your brake fluid? Couldn't find it in the Info Forum although i could have overlooked it.
Thanks
Tons of posts on the subject. Do a search on "brake bleed" or "brake flush", and you'll have more info than you know what to do with.

I personally recommend the Motive power bleeder, and I'm not mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Motive Power Bleeder is the way to go. http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html

The price of a bleeder and the the fluid are less expensive than getting it done at the dealer (~$80-$100), and the next time around you'll be able to do it just for the cost of fluid ($6-$12).

I did mine when I was switching summer/winter tires. I think it added an additional 30-45 minutes to the job. You'll need some tubing. I think it was 4/16" ID tubing. I ended up buying three sizes as I didn't know what size I would need.

The Motive web site has instructions, and they are also printed on the bleeder itself. Be careful with the bleed screw. I've heard some have stripped the threads. I did not have any issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just did it this past weekend. Here are some instructions I had printed out:

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/brakefluid/

The only "trick" was figuring a way to get the fluid out of the reservoir and the instructions above gave me a clue. I used a turkey baster with a small piece of left-over silicone tubing attached to give a snug fit to the drain-port and just sucked the fluid out before adding new fluid and then proceeded to bleed normally using the Motive power bleeder.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
brake fluid flush procedure

My younger son and I just flushed the brake system on his 1996 Audi A4. He had been complaining about a spongy pedal feel and noticed a dramatic difference after we finished.

My personal procedure (differs slightly from standard, works for me):

1) hook up Motive Power Bleeder, filled with air only, and pump to 10 PSI;
2) bleed right rear until brake reservoir level drops just below MIN;
3) depressurize Motive tank and remove from reservoir;
4) top up reservoir to the neck with new Valvoline SynPower fluid;
5) repeat steps 2-4 until fluid runs clear;
6) move bleed hose to left rear and repeat steps 2-4;
7) repeat on right front, then left front.

It takes a little extra time to remove and replace the Motive tank and to top up the reservoir, but you don't have to clean out the tank afterward, because neither it nor its hose ever see any brake fluid.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Draining the reservoir

for all the years I've bled brakes, I've always just drained most of the res. by opening the first bleed screw and pumping until the level went ALMOST to the bottom. NOT RECOMMENDED since you might drain all the fluid out and damage the master cylinder.

But, since I recently purchased a Motive Power bleeder and needed to drain the res, I ended up using the spray bottle nozzle/suction tube from an old bottle of Lexol leather cleaner that I cleaned thoroughly - stuck the nozzle down in the res. and squeezed the trigger, spraying the old fluid into a small bucket. The nice thing about this is that I could put the suction tube into a number of the res. recesses and get all that dark funky crud out of there as well.

I personally think this is a brilliant idea and should be included in the Info Area - but who am I to blow my own horn.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you pump enough new brake fluid through with the Motive, I don't think you have to worry about any old fluid remaining in the reservoir. When I was through I thought I had accidentally drained the reservoir dry because I couldn't see any brake fluid in it. It was only because the new fluid is just slightly yellow tinged (almost clear), and the old stuff was dark yellow. My reservoir was actually over full was I was done.

John E's approach is definitely sound and does save clean up headaches, but I'd be afraid of draining my reservoir dry. Plus, I am only cleaning the Motive once every two years. Not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
... John E's approach is definitely sound and does save clean up headaches, but I'd be afraid of draining my reservoir dry. ...
Working solo, that would be a concern. However, we made this a father-son quality time activity (I tended the Motive and watched the reservoir while Will worked the bleeder valves).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I could not find this in the hardware store, is it the same as 1/4 :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I will quit being a smart ass.
Humor welcomed and most appreciated! When I was typing that post, I recall thinking I had bought 3/16" and 5/16" tubing that was either too small or too large, respectively, so the one in the middle, 4/16" = 1/4" was the correct size. I guess you learned your fractions in math in elementary school :lol:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just did mine, it took a litre of fluid with none to spare.
I just used a pipe with a non-return clunk.
I drained the reservoir with a syringe first.
Topped up the reservoir to the very top every 7 brake pedal presses.
I didn't raise the car, it is quite an easy car to do lying down, but you do have to turn the steering wheel lock to lock to do the fronts.
You are supposed to activate the ABS module with VAG COM, but I use the ABS now and again and change the fluid every year, so hopefully it wont stay stagnant in there.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
With the Passat (factory alloy rims), we used my Rhino ramps, first on the rears, then on the fronts. With the Audi A4 (deeper factory alloy rims), we found it easier to remove and replace the wheels one-by-one. My only regret is that we missed an obvious opportunity for tire rotation. :(

·
Registered
5,503 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Agree with John E's Method - Motive Power Bleeder

I used the same method - however, I did get impatient and go to 12psi --
Now for the Clutch Fluid - I have yet to do ----On my short list this Spring.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
source?
Did you press the brake pedal to the floor? I have been warned elsewhere not to do so, and now I am totally spoiled by the Motive bleeder kit.
Isn't that Motive about the best $50 you ever spent, at least on your car? BTW, I used the same procedure as you (using the power bleeder for pressure only while refilling the MC reservoir for each wheel - no cleanup!).
Also bought a 3 prong adaptor for my Hyundai to complement the Euro connector for the Passat - now I can bleed both vehicles with the Motive.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I used the same method - however, I did get impatient and go to 12psi --
Now for the Clutch Fluid - I have yet to do ----On my short list this Spring.
I too started at 12psi, and when it lessens to 8psi, I just gave it a few pumps to take it back up to 12. IIRC, anything under 20psi is probably "ok", but I wouldn't have the guts to take it over 15psi in any case. I'd hate to "pop" that plastic reservoir!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Buy speed bleeder brake bleeding nipples, no motive pressure bleeder needed, find at Pep Boys or checker for $4 a wheel. Bleeder has a check valve, fluid only flows one way, pump brake slowly till res is low, refill with fresh fluid, repeat till fluid is new at brake bleeder, go to next wheel. Start right rear, leaft rear, right front, left front.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Isn't that Motive about the best $50 you ever spent, at least on your car?
Yup. Right up there with my HarborFreight rotating brake caliper retractor, my Rhino ramps, my handy little pocket-sized generic OBD-II scanner, and my big trucker's cross lug wrench. :thumbup:

Also bought a 3 prong adaptor for my Hyundai to complement the Euro connector for the Passat - now I can bleed both vehicles with the Motive.
I was thinking the same thing -- I need to get the right adaptor for the 2003 Dodge Stratus. Fortunately, Motive's email customer service department is very responsive and eager to please.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Speedbleeders are definitely the way to go. I have a Motive but it is just extra work, mess, and wasted storage space in the garage when not being used. Yeah, the Motive works (assuming you don't blow your brake reservoir apart by overpumping) but the Speedbleeders are easy, take no extra room anywhere, and give as good or better a quality bleed than with the Motive. Just my two cents, but I'm serious. Been there done that with the Motive. Once you install Speedbleeders, you will not look back.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I think one of the benefits of the Motive is NOT having to pump the brake pedal - no risk of excessive pedal travel and damaging the MC.

But do whatever works best for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts